Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Strings and Pick for deep sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by peterock1025, Feb 14, 2005.

1. peterock1025

peterock1025

Jul 13, 2004
    Boston
    I am a guitarist-turned-bassist. I am having trouble deciding which strings / pick combination sounds best for that deep and full finger-plucked sound. I play an ernie ball 4 string musicman stingray into an ampeg svt-4 pro.... I am very comfortable playing with a pick so I would like to continue to play bass with one..........any advice would be greatly appreciated.

pb

2. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    atleast a heavy pick, and play up close to the neck for a finger sound.

3. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    If you want finger sound from a pick, try these:

http://www.steveclayton.com/acetal.html

They feel and sound like "rubber", but are stiff enough to give you good control. They won't slip out of your fingers. I like the 1.26 gauge. Great picks!

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    My choice of a string with a Stingray with your desired tone would be Rotosound Steve Harris Monel Flatwounds (.050-.110) and one of Carol Kaye's thick picks. (something insane like 1.44mm's).

You'll get all you can handle and then some with that setup.

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Damn dude...now you've got me sitting here at 3:49 am thinking of how I don't have a Stringray. :spit:

LA Smoker likes this.
  6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  7. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Even though I'm a fan of pick playing, you're gonna have to learn finger style eventually.

8. Try those triangular Dunlop Tortex pick....i like the yellow one(0.77) .

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Umm...why? Says who? I've been playing with a pick since 1976, exactly when will I need to learn finger style?

As mentioned above, flats and a thick pick. I use Carol's picks too.

LA Smoker likes this.
  10. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    I agree with the above, theres no right or wrong way to play a bass, just what you as a player prefer, I personally opt for fingers, but dont have any problem with pick players, each has its own individual sound and feel. Go with whatever suits you

11. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well yeah good point, I use both, but as long as you've got a good tone, I can't say I can complain.

12. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
  13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I've been really digging my Dano DC bass strung with Rotosound tapewounds and played with a Carol Kaye pick.

It doesn't get much fatter than that.

14. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Dude, how long do nylon wrapped strings last when played with a pick? I have been afraid of going that route because I have heard the nylon wrap wears through when subjected to picking. I usually use a Dunlop Big Stubby for bass. Any experience?

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    So far so good. It depends on what nylon wrapped strings you use. The Rotosound tapewounds are flatwounds under the nylon wrap while some others are roundwounds under the wrap.

The Fender's are junk IMO.

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you want a finger plucked sound, you should try fingers. As a guitarist I think you will find that you pick up finger plucking very quickly.

But the above suggestions where good if you want to stay with a pick.

17. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I've used nylon tape wounds for years, never worn thru 'em.

18. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I prefer finger tone over pick tone but for reasons of tendonitis and flow am forced to play with a pick. Avoid roundwound strings. I recommend:

Flats with Jim Dunlop 3.0 mm jazz stubby
    [​IMG]

I prefer D'addario Chrome flats. :bassist:

19. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Excuse me, guys, but the original poster asked for a pick that sounds like fingers. I personally use a different pick than the one I recommended here, but the one that I did recommend really does sound like fingers. That's the point of the thread.

I have tried hundreds of picks, by the way, and have found only 3 that I consider useable (by me). But that's another subject.

Where is that guy, anyway?

20. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    You're excused but he asked for a string/pick combination not just a pick.