1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Strings for 5-Stringer

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SnakeAnthony, Apr 26, 2006.

1. I just recently purchased a Peavey Cirrus BXP 5. I love the bass, but the B string is a little lack luster. I believe this to be partially due to the dead, cheap, unnamed nickel strings that came on the bass from the factory (which have been on the bass for around 8 months). I wanted to check and see if anyone had any suggestions for ROUNDWOUND strings that will provide a tighter B string. I prefer Steel strings, but have no problem using nickel.

2. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I like pro steels with a .135 B string. They last a long time, have great definition, and the B sounds tight. I use them on a 34" scale with no problems. Your Peavey is a 35" scale, so I think that your B will be clear and crisp with them.

3. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    i have switched to DR lo-riders, ss, with great success.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Sadowsky or DR low riders. I don't mean to contradict Commreman, but Pro Steels are by far the worst sounding string I've ever had the displeasure of trying. They have a harsh clanky high end, and thunderous heavy inarticulate farting bottom end, and no mids or punch whatsoever. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the sound like FiElDy in a box.

5. FWIW, I've got Ken Smiths on my Stingray 5 and I've been really happy with them. I got the stainless Rock Master Mediums with the taper wound B. They get a lot of abuse here in FL, what with all the outdoor jobs, the humidity, and the perspiration - but they handled it well.

6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I always use the GHS Boomers set (45, 65, 85, 105, 130), but DRs are good, too. I just find the GHS strings a bit more "musical" and "lush" and less middy and strident than DRs. Personal taste.

7. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    the DR lo-rider 130 is FAR superiour to the bass boomer 130.

i had bass boomers 30-40-60-80-100-130 and was annoyed by low tension, lush undefined sound and weak B.

the DRs have a great, clean bass and the right amount of treble, clear but not brittle. my bass (a neuser courage 6)sounds great like never before with them.

and they aren't as high tension as posted here and there!

8. polic

polic

Apr 11, 2006
    There is no such thing as a string brand being better than the next. You need to realize that everyone has different taste in feel and sound. Example, I might find Ken Smith to be the nicest sound in basses, but the next man might love the sound of a Danelectro. Your ears and hands will be the judge of what you like. I love to use the Hartke X-lights 40-95 on my four string. They have a very brilliant and even sound from top to bottom and are very soft and easy on my fingers. Someone else may think they sound too harsh but that's what the EQ system is for. To adjust that sound. But that's just me.

9. I agree to a degree, but there are factors in how a string is made, and whats its made of, etc, that affect the overall sturdieness of the string, which is what I'm looking for. Yeah, DRs are gonna sound different than GHS. All strings sound different. But thats not what I'm asking about. I just what something with a tight feeling when I pluck the string. Different companies make strings different ways, so that means each companies strings are going to feel different, some tighter, some looser. See what I'm saying :) :smug:

10. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Okay, well, GHS strings are on the slack side, so you don't want those, probably!

11. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    DR lowriders = the best

12. Commreman

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Wow, Cheeze, I just got home and read your not so subtle slam here.

I am a pro player going on thirty years. I've used everything under the sun, from basses to amps to strings. At one point, I was having strings custom wound for me by my luthier made to my specs!

I have found none of the issues you describe with Pro Steels. They aren't "clanky" in the least. I think clankiness comes from poor technique more than anything (or intentional technique if you talk about Fieldy). Steel strings will maginify that. I have found them to be very focused and articulate, with tons of punch and definition. They growl when I dig in. I have used them for all types of stlyes - R & B, Grunge/metal, gospel and funk stuff, you name it. I like 'em, and they are a good value to boot.

Again, eveyone's taste is subjective, and what works for me may not work for everyone. Right now, my favorite stuff is the perfect storm of hated brands on this website - Carvin basses, GK amps, Monster Cable, and Pro Steels. Go figure. It all works for me, and I get lots of gigs.

13. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    how do you guys feel about a tapered B?
    Lakland sells strings made by GHS kinda like boomers but they have a tapered B string for better or easier intonation.
    Usualy you put them through the body but my bass is through the bridge only & they seem fine that way too.

14. Commreman

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I played a couple of sets of LaBella's with a tapered B. They were OK. I like non-tapered B's better.

15. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    D'Addario XL-170s and Pro Steels are good for fivers. And they are affortable. You will always have nay sayers and proponents of every string. I have heard more good about D'Addario than I have bad. Depends on the bass, the player, the amp, etc. D'Addario XLs are what I consider a neutral string that is a good starting point for a new bass.

The XL-170s have more mids. Pro Steels have a bright top and a tighter bass with a bit of a scooped sound. I prefer the 45-100-130 gauges. If you have a 35" scale or a thru body 34", you will need super long.

Dave

16. I've gotten the reccomendations from TalkBass and my bass teacher now to go for either DRs or Super Steels. Being that Super Steels are cheaper, and I'm poor, thats what I'll go with for now. I light a good high end, and brightness in my strings, hence why I prefer Steel (but I'll use anything good, just as long as its roundwound). I'll pick some up tommorrow and see what I think.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ernie Ball regular slinkies for me.