1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

best strings for 6 string fretless?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by John007, Apr 13, 2006.

1. John007

John007

Mar 31, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    :help: Looking for some kind of fairly light guage flat-wound strings for six string fretless. The guy at the music store sold me D'Addario normal wound bass strings, but when I slide up or down the neck, I get a screech from my fingers sliding on the surface wires of the strings. I really need something more flat wound. Any suggestions? My music store guy is clueless.

2. scottyg11

scottyg11

Mar 12, 2006
    Seattle
    I have been surfing the net this morning looking for the same thing. So far all I have found is th Tomastik Infield JF 346 set. They are calling these Regular Scale. Does anyone know if these will fit a 35" scale bass?

3. T-I also makes an extra long set, I believe called the JF366. One or the other ought to fit your bass. It depends in part on the bridge design--that is, how much string length there is behind the saddles.

I suggest you go here:

http://www.vintagebass.com/thedudepit/

and ask in the T-I forum.

4. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    D'Addario Chromes

5. scottyg11

scottyg11

Mar 12, 2006
    Seattle

Man I would LOVE to put those on my 6er. I have those on a Fretless 5 and a fretted 4.. I get great tone from them and love the feel. The smallest string they make is .040" (according to thier web site this am) Can these be tuned up to C?

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    SIT Powerflats are pretty dark & thumpy... my favorite flat type string
    D'Addario Half-Rounds are also nickel groundwounds but looser and more expressive... also real nice