Best strings for a 20 fret 4-string?!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by martyr of obscu, Sep 26, 2005.

1. martyr of obscu

martyr of obscu

Aug 31, 2005
    I have a 20 fret a begginer soooo what strings should I buy?? Better yet when I should go to the music store....What should I ask for? All i know about bass strings is the thick...I usually use .40 but I dunno what u reccomend...I play metal (just for the record). One more thing...When I buy strings should I say its for a 4string bass or do i have to buy 5 strings and throw the other one away?!?!
  2. martyr of obscu

martyr of obscu

Aug 31, 2005
    Is a 120 watt beringer combo amp good enough for shows ??
    Lets say a 500 ppl venue?
  3. TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    You can buy 4 string sets and be fine. Most people buy strings according to preference of feel, so any suggestions here are should be taken with a grain of salt. I personally use an .105 E string but have been meaning to move up to a .110 4 string set for a while now. If you like the sound you get from the strings you use and they don't feel too floppy, then you should probably stick with the same gauge.

Other wiser TBers should correct me if I'm wrong though.

Is your 120 Watt combo amp going to be your only amplification? Most venues will have PA systems for you to run through, so your personal amp wattage is often moot. The answer to your amp question also depends on how many other instruments you'll be competing against. I had a 120 watt 15" combo that I used for a lot of shows, but I wouldn't have trusted it to work adequately in a 500 person venue on its own because I had to compete with 2 guitars running through 100 watt tube amps.