1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best strings for a 5 string Schector Stiletto?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ahaTFJ, Apr 9, 2006.

1. ahaTFJ

ahaTFJ Guest

Apr 2, 2006
    Chicago
    I've been playing a 4 string bass for 2 years, and I just recently bought a new 5 string bass.

I've been using Ernie Balls for my 4 string, but I am looking for a thicker, more deeper tone.

Any suggestions? I believe my new bass came strung with Elixers... I like them, but I want to see what you guys think.

2. I am in the same boat as you my friend, just got a 5 string, but i've found that GHS boomers, and Knucklehead Strings have a nice deep tone, and the strings are thicker then most, it depends on what tuning you usually play in. The lower the gauge the more bright your sound is going to be, thicker, the more beefer it gets.

3. Ray C. Parrish

Ray C. Parrish

Oct 2, 2005
    I would have to agree, the GHS Boomers have been great for me. Just remember to go heavy. If it feels funny at first, forge ahead, you won't notice the difference in a couple of days.:bassist:

4. plus you'll gain a nice gorilla grip and be able to play some funky beats, and faster on the fret board....