1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best strings for a fretless fender jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dolphin_wank, Mar 25, 2006.

1. hi, i'm about to fit a fretless neck to my jazz and wondered what would be the best strings to use on it.

basically i just want a real dull, moody, jazzy whining sorta sound, that would work well in fusion/straight jazz/solo stuff

i dont think i've used flatwounds yet, are these more suitable? if so would anyone mind explaining the differnce please!! i'm pretty clueless when it comes to strings

recommendations please!

thanks
    bren

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    It's all about how your fingers respond to the strings. I have half-rounds on my jazz right now, and I don't like them. I think they sound . . . bland, whereas I really like the sound of flatwounds on it, the tone just sounds more alive and breathing in my hands. Most people would say I'm ass-backwards on this, but you have to go with what you hear for yourself.

I'm going to try some tapewounds on my fretless soon. I'll see if those work out, if they don't I'm going back to Fender flats.

3. i think my fingers are ready for a battering, thats the least of my concern!!

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I think he meant how your fingers hit the string, fingerboard, etc. It also depends on your fingerboard wood, and whether or not it's finished. I put an unfinished rosewood (fingerboard) fretless neck on my jazz. I use Fender 9050s. I get a great 'moan' with the the neck pickup solo and with the tone on. I love this sound. If you want a good mwah, you might want to try some rounds or half-rounds.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Sofar on my journey to find the best fretless flats, my choice is D'Addario Chromes. But I will soon try Rotosound 77s.

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
  7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Fender 7150's pure nickel rounds. Love them on my fretless jazz :hyper:

8. i emailed the guy, told him my bass and he responded saying it should be fine

if it doesn't, i'll go ape**** at him

9. mntallpaul

mntallpaul Supporting Member

I also dont think p-bass necks will fit into the jazz body. Good luck with that...
    Strings with a fretless? THomastik-Infeld Jazz flats.....love em..

10. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    The rotosound flats work nicely on a fretless.

11. I don't think there's a problem with standard J or P necks. AFAIK the pocket is exactly the same for both. Warmoth seems to agree:

http://www.warmoth.com/bass/options/options_bass_neck_pocket.cfm

This is not true of Telecasters and Stratocasters, oddly enough. Tele necks don't fit right in a Strat route, nor do Strat necks in a Tele route.

12. I have Rotosound flats on my fretless Jazz and I like them on that bass, but not my fretted basses. I don't like the "gritty" feel they have, but they are just the ticket on the fretless...I can get "mwah" or "thump" or punch or sustain from them.

13. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    Rotosound Swing 66's FTW!

14. i currently have d'addario chromes on my fretless jazz right now. I have also had Rotosound Flats on it too. The chromes sound a little brighter and have more punch. The Rotosounds are darker and warmer. I prefer the Chromes right now cause they help me cut through the mix more.