Best Strings for a G&L L2500

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by woodsideh, Oct 9, 2011.

1. woodsideh

woodsideh

Feb 19, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I've looked around and this has probably been asked before, but I am playing a G&L L2500 through an Ampeg SVT Classic with either 2 Avatar 112's or an Avatar 212 or all on a big stage. My current Genre is modern country. It seems the B string is just too floppy for me. I have been using Fender 7250 5M strings. Maybe the tension on the B (.125) is just too light. Any suggestions?

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    DR Fat Beams for everything.

3. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    GHS Precision Flats, available in bulk packaging from Carvin. The .128 low B is snug and easy to play.

4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Fixed that for you! ;)

I get mine here at bassstringsonline.com:

Welcome to Bass Strings Online - Lay it down...

P.S. be sure to register as a VIP on the site. They have a VIP program open to all forum members!

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I LOVE the FatBeams on my Brubaker...they trounced Sunbeams on that bass. :)

However, I will agree. Sunbeams is the way to go on an L2500. It's naturally bright and in your face, and Sunbeams mate perfectly to it. FatBeams would be TOO bright.

6. woodsideh

woodsideh

Feb 19, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Perfection!! - Thanks for the info. I put a set of Sunbeams on last night and she is perfect now. Just the right amount of tenion for me. I was able to lower the action to where I wanted and they sound fantastic.

7. swmmojo

swmmojo Be up and doing...

Zombie thread resurrection...

I've recently acquired a sweet U.S. 1998 G&L L2500 USA. I'm trying to decide on some strings. I bought steel Roto66s but they were WAY too aggressive for me. I put on my buddy's nickel Sunbeams (.125 B) and they sound and feel good. I see folks here use them as well.

So, I have two questions...

Does a thicker B (.130) mean stiffer B?
    Anyone like nickel LoRiders over Sunbeams? I read the LoRiders (hex core) allow for lower action.

Thanks!

8. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me.

Dec 2, 2005
    Edmonton
    Congrats on your purchase!

This thread might answer your question about string gauge and stiffness: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/does-scale-length-really-make-difference-726025/
    It starts out about scale length, but it turns into a discussion about everything that goes into perceived tension on the B.

9. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Not exactly. Different strings have different tension. I use PowerBass strings on my L-2500 and the low B isn't floppy in the least. Oh yeah, the low B is a .119

10. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    A thicker B string does mean a stiffer string as long as you're sticking with the same type of string...a .125 Sunbeam will always be stiffer than a .130 Sunbeam, but a .130 Sunbeam may not be stiffer than a .125 LoRider. Make sense? Great!

LoRiders are higher tension than Sunbeams, they vibrate less, so they can 'ride lower' in the saddle without fretting out.

Also, SIT makes string sets designed for G&L. They are closer to Nickel LoRiders.
    http://www.bassstringsonline.com/search.asp?keyword=G&L&sortby=0&catid=436

And while you're at Bass Strings Online, check out the custom string shop:
    http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Build-your-own-string-set_c_163.html

If you want a light gauge string set with a heavy gauge B (like me...I use 40-100 with a .135 B string) you can build it right there.

11. swmmojo

Thanks.

So, a .130 DR LoRider would feel more stiff than a .130 Sunbeam?

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I've always liked D'Addario XL's on G&L basses. They seem to match well with the MFD pickups.

13. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Definitely. In fact I have a mix on my Spector 5..40, 60, 80 Sunbeams, 105, 130 Nickel Loriders.

14. swmmojo

Cool. I think I'll go with .130 LoRiders. SITs look good but I've used LoRiders in the past and know how long they last.

15. swmmojo

Went with LoRiders (.125 B) and they are great. Low action and tight B. Sunbeams were good on it as well but I dig the LoRiders.

16. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    So, you guys who are using DR Sunbeams, are you stringing through body?

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021