Best Strings for a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Aug 31, 2005.

1. I'm looking for some suggestions from any of you who have tried different strings on this bass, because the Geddy is a very bright bass so j ust wondering
  2. mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    i used to always use flats on it for that reason (Rotosound) but i have recently swithced to rounds on it and i like it pretty well. i guess it just depends on what youre going for.
  3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I like mine with Ernie Balls (nickle rounds) "regular Slinky" - 105, 85, 70, 50

Although I find that they sound a lot like the stock Fender strings (still bright) but it's nothing that I can't compensate for with the EQ on my amp.

I haven't tried flats, maybe they might be too your liking if you are bothered by the brightness of this bass with rounds.

On a related note - I've always prefered a lighter set with round wounds, but have stuck with a medium heavy gauge as that's what came stock and I've had a slight fear of neck problems because of the thin shaved neck. Although as I think about it more, a lighter gauge would have less tension - so I'm not sure if that would be better or worse for the neck. Does anybody have any experience that they can share in regards to string gauge on the Geddy? Has anybody had any neck problems with their Geddy?
  4. tai

Feb 10, 2005
    i currently use them. they rock with them!
  5. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I think Geddy uses light gauge Rotosound Swing Bass. I think he used Funk Masters but they do not make those anymore.