1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Strings for a Mid-Bump?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Oct 29, 2018.

1. I play a Warrior 4, and my EQ preference is to have a burpy, growly mid bump. What strings would you all recommend? My favorite strings aren't made anymore, and I'm trying to find a new string.

2. Marcus Miller sig Dunlop Super Brights. Others I would try would be DR Lo-Riders or DR Fat Beams.

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. So, if you can tell us what your favorite strings were, it might help us point you in the right direction.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Since it is a specific set it would violate TOS so I can't say without risk of ban.

5. They were Trace Elliot Stainless 40-100. When they stopped making them, I bought 50 sets of them from a store on eBay that was selling them for $6 a set. I'm out now.

nbsipics likes this.
  6. PM me.

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    done

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO & IME GHS Pressurewounds. They sound warm and punchy, with excellent mids, and they have an alloy 52 outer wrap, which gives them an incredibly long lifespan.

dagrev, trothwell and michael_t like this.
  9. @GrooveWarrior, are you going to share with the rest of us the secret that was revealed by @SLaPiNFuNK ? ;)

10. For flats, I like la bella golds, for rounds Optima unique golds (the chromes rounds for definition and high end. They get far more than any set of stainless rounds on the market), for all purpose strings I like the pressurewound GHS. That's what I have on my main player right now. They sound like nickel rounds but last forever with little finger noise. Elixirs are amazing bass strings too. I've pretty much tried almost anything available at one point or another.

As far as your post is concerned, gold flats. Hands down.

11. Alchemys? I loved those strings. #&$%ing Randy Jackson taking them off the market. I had a set on for over two years. They were still good. Then I went to get another set, and they were discontinued. Fish poops.

12. Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  13. I'm a little unsure about the fact that these are "flats". I can't see putting flats on my Warrior.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  14. The term "flats" is very misleading for describing the Pressurewounds. They're more like "semi-rounds", where the basic tonal character is still very much round-ish, except with extra low-mid punch with nice crunchy mids and less of the top end zing.

dagrev and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  15. Sounds cool. I'll have to check them out.

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    They're not actually flats. They're roller-wounds, where the outer wrap is pressed into an oval shape. They're not super bright, but for me they have the perfect amount of high end bite, without sounding harsh.

dagrev and michael_t like this.
  17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Studio Ace, Dave Pomeroy and GHS have a video on YouTube, where Dave strings up his P-Bass with a set of Pressurewounds. Check it out if you can.

18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-

GHS' Jon Moody also posted an excellent YouTube video about Pressurewounds, where he plays samples of a well-used set and a brand new set.

19. DA Pro Steels.

20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    D'addario super light nickel rounds