1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best strings for a Ric?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by terryv, Sep 30, 2010.

1. terryv

terryv

Sep 29, 2010
    Leamington Spa
    Hi the time has come to put news strings on my Ric 4003 and I'm not sure what to use - I know Chris Squire uses Rotosound Swing strings but can anyone offer any advice? Many thanks

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Every time I had a RIC, I used to string them with Rotosound RS66 (aka Swing Bass). They may not be the "best strings ever", they don't have that much of a lifespan, but they work in a kind of unique way with RICs. Just my $0.02.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I tried Blue Steels a few months ago and they're awesome. Best strings I ever used.

4. mikeldtl

mikeldtl

Oct 23, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Played them all and I always come back to Rotosound 66 (45 - 105) for recording and DR Hi-beams for longevity (practice/ in between). Honestly it's really ice cream... I prefer stainless but it always sounds Ric. It's about the setup and your plucking/picking more than anything.

5. terryv

terryv

Sep 29, 2010
    Leamington Spa
    Thanks everyone, that's helped make up my mind. Cheers

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Rotosound swing 66 or perhaps dean markley blue steels.

7. Ric strings sound the best to me and last. I can't believe I played mine for 25 years without trying them.

8. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Back in the 70's, I always put Rotosounds (swing bass 66) on my Rics. Now I use DR Sunbeams. I like the Sunbeams alot more. They still provide the bite of the Rotos, but the Sunbeams last longer. The Sunbeams are also easier on the frets since the Sunbeams are nickel plated steel rather than the steel Rotos.

IMO of course. YMMV.

9. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    TI Jazz flats.

Hey, don't blame me, he didn't say anything about tonal direction...

10. cassius987

cassius987 Inactive

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Circle K Strings on a Ric are amazing.

11. Emm9T

Emm9T

Sep 28, 2009
    Holiday, Fl
    +1 on the Blue Steels, LOVE them

12. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Doesn't the answer to this completely depend on what type of sound you're after?

13. JerryD

JerryD

Oct 18, 2007
    North Florida
    I have own and played a Ric 4001 for 25 years and the Ric string are the best.....