1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

best strings for a rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kitcar765, Apr 8, 2006.

1. what type of string realy suits the rickenbacker sound?
    any particular makes?

2. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Many people feel that Rotosound Swingbass RS66's are the ultiamte string for Ricks, I'm one of them. Chris Squire uses them on his sig model 4001 too as does Geddy Lee.

~Paul :)

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Another vote for Roto's here!

4. so Rotosound Swingbass RS66's are the be all and end all of bass strings for rickenbackers?

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Rotos are good..nice thud

DR Highbeams/Sumbeams have a nice growl

6. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Rotos simply eats my beautiful frets on my Rickenbacker basses so I don`t use them.

DR hi-beams are the way to go for me.

7. what particular DR hi-beams do you recomend?

8. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Rotos for the Squire type twang.

Flats (Thomastik Jazz Flats are my fav) for the McCartney thing.

9. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Kitcar,

I use the DR-hi beams stainless steel gauge 40-100 on my basses. They hve the clanky sound and do not eat my frets like the Roto`s would do ( and I tried more than one set of Roto`s in the past and it`s all the same concluion for me ).

10. seems like tutlu has the best option, nice sound, and no dammage to the frets, seems good to me, any idea what type LEMMY uses on his rickenbacker?

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I would imagine Rotosounds would work well as would TI's.

12. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Oct 8, 2005
    Whatever Flats McCartney uses? :D

13. Does anyone use Rickenbacker strings? If not, is there a particular reason (tone, price, availability, etc.)?

Stock Rickenbacker strings are 45-55-75-105, while a lot of sets out there with 45 and 105 on the outside use 65 and 80/85 on the inside.

If you have gone from stock to one of these other sets did you find it had a noticeable effect on the action? Did you feel any change in action and tension changed the playability of the bass?

Thanks for sharing any insights.

14. Sunbeams - smooth, low tension, rich mids, and sweet highs..

I've yet to be more impressed by any other string - I've had them on for one year, and they still sound warm and bright at the same time.....they have the nicest mids I've ever heard, and suit the Ric sound to a T.

15. Bob the Bass

Bob the Bass

Aug 13, 2004
    UK
    I've tried the lot but ended up going back to the standard Ric .45/.55./75/.105 strings - they give the best sound/feel to me :bassist:

16. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    What model is your bass?? 4001 or 4003???
    With a 4003 put on any set that works the best for you...
    A 4001 is a bit trickier...since this older truss rod system was never designed for strings with higher tensions...Each 4001 bass is slightly different, therefore you will need to see what the neck and truss rod can handle, ie, find it's limitations...
    Yes, I agree the RotoSound Swing66 are probably the best sounding strings on a 4001 Ric...but because those are stainless strings, they have way more tension on the neck, the only "safe" gauge is the .040 to .095 RotoSound Swing66... I measured the tension of this set and it fairly close in tension to the stock Ric nickel set 45-105.....
    I usually don't buy into all the hype when a company suggesting to use ONLY thier brand strings...but I will honestly say that the Ric strings do sound good on thier basses... The Ric strings do last ...The problem with the Roto-Strings is that the company was taken over by the son's of the owner...they changed the string winding machines to increase production and also changed the metals...They messed with what was a perfect string..The RotoSOund strings now don't last long to long..... If you want a 45-105 set I would stay away from the Rotos with a 4001... The reason Ric has a such a weird string gauges in thier set, is an attempt to best have equal distribution of string tensions across the finger board/neck..Plus thier set of 45-105 string is a low tension set that works good on the 4001 necks..
    I know Chris Squire did use the .040-.095 set of RotoSOunds..

Chris

17. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I put D'Addario Pro Steels on my rick. They can shatter glass on that bass. :D

18. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    I don't know about the 4003's but on the 4001's that I had, I used Roto steel rounds and black tape wounds. If you want that classic Rickii sound from McCartney to Squire use Rotos and nothing else.
    Rezdog

19. Roto's for the best sound. They have veracious appetite for frets though.:meh: