Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BEST strings for a TONEFUL tight B on a fretless 34" 6er

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lackey, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey,, I just picked up a Carvin LB76F and I'm looking to upgrade the strings (particularly the B). Mwah, warmth, growl are all good catch phrases, definately going with nickel roundwounds. I don't want to go any bigger than .135 for the B, and I could really use some help for getting more tension and tone out of it.

Please recommend your findings (brands,sets, sizes, taper/exposed/wrapped core), these things are $35 + ! :eek: Not to mention there's 30 different companies at JustStrings.com, it could take me YEARS and big $$ to figure it out!

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Hey Chris, get the bag yet? Glad you like the bass. As you probably guessed, those strings on the bass now are the standard Carvin light 6 set. On my fretted, which is very similar, I have a set of DR Sunbeams with a .130 low B, and that I think is a better string. I also thought the D'Addario half round set was pretty fat, and you can get a low .135. A lot of people like the Thomastik Infeld roundwounds too, but they are pricy! Also, the gauges are unusual, and maybe not to everybody's taste. But I have to say the T-I Jazz flats on my fretless ABG are great--very DB-like, though that may not be what you want.

3. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    hehe,, I thought you might pop up! I'm thinking of trying the DR Lo-Rider Nickels, 130-30. I'm looking for more of a Willis/Jaco tone with this 'un.