Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best strings for ABG?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by velcrohd, Sep 15, 2002.

1. velcrohd

velcrohd Guest

May 26, 2002
    Paducah, KY
    I recently purchased an Olympia ABG (made by Tacoma, same as CB10 thunderchief) that has Elixer strings on it. They sound and feel great, but they just don't sound quite right for an acoustic. I was thinking of switching to Phosphor Bronze strings, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I'd hate to toss out a $45 set of strings. Also, I have no idea which brand I should go with that would stay in tune and last for a while. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I have never bought strings for an acoustic bass before.

2. bigheadbob

bigheadbob

Sep 14, 2002
    get some erinie ball acoustics their new. theyre like 23 bucks. they are for acoustic basses. they work great man, seriously:)

3. I'm an advocate of TI Acousticore strings. They aren't for everyone though. Low tension, light guage = slight rolling around the fingerboard. Also may not project tone as much as some others when unplugged. On the plus side they have a wonderful tone, last for ages, and may help intonation on your ABG if that's an issue.

GHS phosphor bronze strings are nice... Nylon tape covered strings will give you a nice "thump" with plenty of attack if that's your thing.

If you do a search for ABG in this forum you're bound to find plenty of opinions.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've said it before, I'll say it again - my Tacoma thrives on LaBalla black nylon tapes.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I love the Elixers on my Tacoma. Mine came with D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings, they were OK but I like the Elixers a lot better.

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yep, Yep, Yep, that's the way to go.