1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best strings for an ibanez ATK300 series?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gregmon79, Mar 30, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    What strings do you ATK'ers use on your bass? Recommendations, opinions, experiences with good/bad ones?? I've used all kinds. At the moment my 300 is strung with stainless steel hybrid slinkies, .45-.110. They are pretty nice. I have a set of circle K's balanced .112 set coming, can't wait. So what do y'all strong yours up with and why?

2. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I Have a set of DR Dragon Skins on my ATK 305 right now and the compliment the bass nicely. I had Elixers previously and like the Dragon skins better. Nice bright defined highs, a fair amount of bottom and they don't sound clanky. That being said I have to cut my highs and mids (-0.2-0.3) while boosting the lows. The Elixers were better for thumping but I think you get more definition probably a better slap tone fro the Dragon Skins. So depends what kind of sound your after. I would love to try my ATK with a set of La Bella Stainless Rounds. I have a set on my G&L Tribute JB-2 and they are really nice. Huge bottom for stainless strings.

3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I've never tried anything la bella before. Pretty good strings huh? And I've never even heard of the DR type dragon skins. Are they coated with something? I've always steered clear of strings with costing on them but maybe I'll give them a try. I'm trying to settle on a good string for a while because I've been all over the place with strings the last couple months trying different ones. I'm digging some of the sets I've been throwing on my ATK but I'm still looking for "the" set I ordered some circle K's so hopefully I'll like em. Keep hearing great things about them.

4. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    I have SIT Rock Brights Nickel on my ATK 300 and I like them. I prefer bright sounding strings on that bass.

Good Luck.

5. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I'd like to go towards a rougher, darker sounding string. I can get really bright with my onboard and GK head so I'd like something to balance that out. I have no idea what sort of string is "darker" ya know.

6. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Greg,

The DR Dragon Skins are basically clear colored coated High Beams. The La Bella Stainless are very nice strings but not what you typically associate with stainless steel strings. They have nice bright defined highs, but are not clanky or super 'piano' sounding. They also are quite bassy and have a huge bottom for stainless strings. The closest thing I can think of to compare them to are DR Fat Beams. They are similar, but not exactly the same, but that should give you an idea where they sit in the tone department.

7. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Cool, thanks for the info. I'm thinking these may not be exactly what I'm looking for. But, ill bet I try them at some point! GASsssssss!