1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Strings for CCM

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by azbazz, Apr 18, 2006.

1. azbazz

azbazz

Mar 13, 2006
    Arizona
    I have a MTD 535, medium ash body, spalted maple top, wenge/wenge neckfingerboard. I play contemporary christian music. I play through an SWR 750x, with a superb house system and audio tech who sets eveything up.

What would be the best strings to use that would produce a warm sound and still cut through the mix?

Thanks

2. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch. Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Elixers

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I second Elixirs - no bright new string tone, but they're steady with their tone - thumpy, more lower midrange I think.

4. azbazz

azbazz

Mar 13, 2006
    Arizona
    Two votes for Elixirs....haven't tried them but I do like your description of "steady with their tone - thumpy more lower mid range"

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, thats how they sound to me. Highs really are just kind of muted, but I liked it because I didn't have to deal with the brightness.

Maybe someone can give you more insight, this is just what I've been using sincethey had the Elixir trial a bit back.

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I really love Elixirs. The tone, as mentioned, is never 'new string', but a little more broken in. This, however, is perfect for me. The high end is a little muted, but IMO, it gives a little better control over the tone with your attack and EQing. Sadly, they cost a pretty penny, and I play a 6 string bass tuned EADGCF, so I'll need to order a 6er set and get a single guitar string for the F.

Only gripe is the B isn't taught enough for me, but I don't tune to B anymore anyways.

7. azbazz

azbazz

Mar 13, 2006
    Arizona
    Hopefully the B isn't floppy? I do not like a floppy B string....I can live with "not taught". Based on all of your input...Elixirs do sound like what I am looking for....I did notice that they were more on the expensive side for strings.

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Well, if you've got a 35" scale, you'll have no problems. And since you won't have to replace them as often, the price is pretty much justified.