1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best strings for downtuning?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by payforyoursins, Sep 9, 2008.

1. hi guys im new to the forum.
    ive joined because i need some personal opinions (as opposed to commercial opinions who just want my money) on what strings are best for my bass. I am relatively new to the bass, having played guitar before. I play in a metal band in drop c tuning. i find the strings i have now go too slinky in this tuning, what strings would you recomend for drop tuning. I play with an Ibanez SR300. Thanks in advance

PFYS

2. BELLATOR

BELLATOR

Sep 7, 2005
    Heavier gauge strings have more tension when downtuning compared to medium and light gauge strings. You might have to file the notches in the nut to accommodate heavier gauge strings though.

3. do a search through the forum. There are a ton of threads that touch on this topic. you can find exactly what you need.

4. It's not always true that thicker = more tension, I can't remember the full equation but there is more to it then that. Either way as a general rule of thumb thicker usually means tenser on a larger scale. But you do get some 100s that will be higher tension then 110s etc.

You say drop C though, you do mean C-A-D-G, not C standard (C-F-A#-D#)? Either way try a 5 string set, but don't use either the E if your doing drop C, or the G if your doing C standard.

5. BELLATOR

BELLATOR

Sep 7, 2005
    I was thinking as a general rule of thumb thicker usually means more tension.

6. Oh it is, was just been pedantic, thought it might be useful to know for people that didn't know too.

7. bonzo4880

bonzo4880

Sep 16, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    you can usually find the tension info on each manufacturer's website. its worth checking out just to know the difference btw any strings you are considering. also remember the nut adjustment and possible neck adjustment for higher tension.

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Oh my. Do a search

I personally have talked in this Strings forum extensively about strings suitable for detuning...

9. hi i play in C-G-C-F tuning, thanks for the replies

10. All 3 of my basses (one of them an Ibanez SR400QM) are tuned to CGCF. I want the low notes of a 5er on a thin/fast 4banger neck. I was using 45 / 65 / 85 / 105 which works, but is a little too loose (for me anyway). I personally like lower tension strings anyway (I'm a bender), and found that using 50 / 70 90 / 110-[or115] gauge strings helps greatly in raising the tension enough to stop the slightly excessive fret buzz. You could try 55 / 75 / 95 / 115, but I think all but the 115 will be too tight IMO. BTW I'm using a "custom gauge" set of SIT Powerwounds which SIT will assemble at customer request through your local dealer.
    Here's a string tension chart:
    http://www.daddario.com/Resources/JDCDAD/images/tension_chart.pdf

11. thanks matey ill check them out

12. I dunno about too tight, tuned to B all the 110s I've played sound sloppy as hell. That extra .005 and the extra semitone higher might even it out though if they're tense strings in the first place.

13. I said that the 55 / 75 / 95 might be too tight - not the 110-115 which most definitely won't be. ;)

14. Ah yes you did, hahah, sorry, was wondering what the hell you were talking about...