1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best strings for ESP/LTD 305FM

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kimberguy918, May 19, 2011.

1. Kimberguy918

Kimberguy918

Feb 22, 2011
    What are the best strings for this bass, I always have used Blue Steels on my P-Bass but this is my first 5 string and I have no idea what brand and gauge to run on the ESP/LTD

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Why would there be a best string for a specific bass that all players should recognize as the best string for that bass? If you like blue steels try them on this bass. String chgoice is entirely personal sound tweak preferance. I like rotosound swing66 and DR neons on most any bass. Some like blue steels as fave string, some like ghs as fave string.

3. Kimberguy918

Kimberguy918

Feb 22, 2011
    There are just so many choices and I know that it is a personal preference. This is my first bass with active electronics and made of mahogany. My old P-bass has such a distinct tone but I can go from a bright funk sound to a old school Motown flat wound output with a twist of the tone knob. The band I play in is a rock/blues outfit and I need a string that has good lows on one song then go to a bright driving highs on another tune. I have uses DR's on my guitars and they have always done well. I might give them a shot thanks man

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Ok, with active eq onboard even with the tone controls set flat. You normally in my experience get a little bit better low bass articulation and a bit extended treble as though sound details for upper overtones etc are more heard then with passive. This being due to the shift to lowZ signal via the preamp.

On my esp f154dx I normally do most of my tone variation via the pup blend knob. Center (both pups on full) as basic crusing voice. Then rolled a little toward bridge pup for more lead like tone and rolled a little toward neck pup for a darker version of crusing voice. I typically run the bass knob at around 1/4 to 1/3 boosted. The midrange boosted just a little bit past center detent. And treble control at flat (center detent) or just slightly boosted or cut.

Useing blend knob rather then both full or either pup solod gives a better sound to me for most basses. If you want a tighter then average neck pup voice, try rolling the blend toward bridge pup and boosting the bass about 1/3 to 1/2 and dialing treble back a little bit before center detent. If you want to create a more bridge like pup voice with the neck pup. Roll blend about 1/2 toward neck or little more, then lower the bass control a bit below center detent. Adjust treble as desired.

Midrange control, since your nice f series bass has one. Boosting it a little bit tends to add a little more growl and presence to the voice.

The blue steals should work well on your active bass. Though they have a bit more treble then I prefer untill theyre well broken in, they do have a great crack of thunder qaulity to their bass content. If you find them a bit overly trebly with the new bass, either cut the treble a little below center detent till they mellow out. Or perhaps try GHS strings for more blanced lows thrus highs. Rotosound swing66 if you want that metaalic sound but less trebly then blue steels. Daddario if youd like a smoother mellower sound. And ernie bass as a good choice imo if you want a bit more crunchy char to your sound then you get with meidrange knob boosted a little bit.

But again blue syteals since you like them should work well on the new bass. And may give longer life then you get from them with your P bass due to the preamp lowZ signal (lower treble on the bass as desired till they loose they treble heavy new string sound.

BTW the reason ive switched from rotosound swing66 to DR neons is that they ahve the basic rotosound sound char to them that I love but a little bit better low bass articulation. They are a tad brighter then then rotos, but slight decrease of treble for brand new string set remedies any sense of too much treble top. Though their treble is quite pleasant and lacking the harshness of most of the brighter sounding strings Ive tried. Blue steels have pleasant treble to them to my ears, but just a but too much of the treble. I prefer to not have to tweak the onboard treble knob more then 1/4 or so for main running voice.