1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best strings for Fender Deluxe P bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by seansbrew, Jan 17, 2005.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I just got a new Fender American Deluxe p, the one with the humbucker. Anyway with the active electronics and very bright sound of this bass, what are other Deluxe P players using? It is a four string witht the standard fender strings ( 40- 100)

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Hmmm... the stock strings on mine had a 110 E string, which I don't care for. Regardless, mine is now strung with DR Sunbeams- nickel, round core, 45-100. To my ears, a great combination. Warm midrange, smooth feel, modest tension. I love 'em! They are also on my American Deluxe Jazz and Reverend Rumblefish. Good Luck! :)

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Actually, I'm not sure what gauge is on the bass, I was going by what the salesmen told me. I have already been thinking I would go with a nickel string, thanks for the reply I will start off with the DR.

4. If you want R/W's with plenty of low end, punch, and decent mids and highs...try GHS Boomers.

If you want flats try D'Addario Chromes
    Plenty of punch, good lows, excellent mid/highs for a flat wound string.

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    For R/W you may also want to try D'Addario XL's. Nice tension, last a reasonably long time and sound very middish with a strong bottom end. I also tend to like Fender strings (7250's) which have a nice sound and excellent tension as well. Generally it is a good idea to change the strings that come on a bass ASAP as they get pretty beat up at the store etc.

Dan