1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

best strings for fretless.. Help..

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hurricaneatk, Oct 8, 2013.

1. hurricaneatk

hurricaneatk

Oct 8, 2013
    San Diego
    What you guys opinions ...remember I am new to this bass stuff.. trying to soak in everything possibly on this board thank you for the help ...

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    No such thing as "best". There are only choices, each with its own benefits and detriments.

That said, to get a usable answer, you'll need to define your musical needs & applications, as there are many ways to approach the fretless.

MM

3. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Link us some videos of how you want to sound.

4. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Depends on many things, but if you prefer rounds like I do, and play a Fender J like I do, you might love DR Sunbeams. Just like I do. :)

Great strings for fretless IMO.

5. Tapes

Tapes

Tapes

I like Roto's, but regardless:

Tapes

Tapes

Tapes

6. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I like R Cocco Nickel's and DR Black Beauties, light gauges.

7. I use Ken Smith Compressors or D'Addario Half Rounds. Almost as bright as round wounds, less wear on bass and fingers.

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    3234718 said it all. No reason to rehash THIS one...

John

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Depending on what tone you want.
    I suggest any of these.

TI JF344 Flats
    GHS Black Tapewound
    Ken Smith Compressors
    DR Sunbeams.

I use all four for fretless, they all sound great.

10. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Add Thomastik Infeld flats to your list.
    Sound fantastic on fretless basses.

11. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Perusing this forum and others for advice, I tried several different strings on a Fender fretless jazz bass.

My personal favorite is the Thomastik Infield flatwound strings. With both pickups up, it's a very solid Fender jazz bass sound. Bridge pickup only, a nice Jaco-esque tone (though I'm sure not as close as with good steel roundwound strings). Neck pickup only, a full, rubbery tone.

I also used nylon tapewound strings quite a bit (LaBella is what I selected). A good sound, but a little muffled for my taste.

12. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    My take, subjective as that of anyone else, in NO particular order of preference:

1. Sadowsky Black Lable Flats, light gauge: warm, articulate, reasonable but not lengthy sustain, not too thumpy. I currently have my Squier fretless VM Jazz strung with these. I would characterize them as 'clearly' mellow and they work well on this bass.

2. Pedulla Nickle rounds: I had these on my Pedulla Pentabuzz and they're the strings that come stock on this bass. A through G these strings sang really nicely, but I found the B and E lacking somehow, they didn't have the musical quality of the rest. Still, very nice feeling and it's possible that the B and E were simply dying. I have no idea how long the strings had been on the bass prior to purchasing it. I also found the tension/stiffness on the B and strings to be a little on the light side for my taste.

3. DR Sunbeams: These are my go-to rounds. Warm, articulate, medium tension. Just lovely strings, and unless you just love the zing of new strings they maintain a really nice mellow but clear tone for a long time after break-in. Wonderful strings on a Jazz bass, imho.

5. Circle K balanced: Can't report on these yet, but I'm picking up my Pentabuzz from Mike Lull's this afternoon. They're highly praised here on TB so I'm excited to see what they're like.

If you're really looking for clarity and big sustain stick with rounds. If you like the Jaco tone go with stainless steel and favor the bridge pick up if you're playing a Jazz, but for a slightly warmer tone, go with nickle. I personally much prefer nickle strings.

13. Fit4pain

Fit4pain Gold Supporting Member

May 30, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    +1

14. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    As others have said, it depends on what you want to sound like.
    If you are after the Jaco tone, get roundwounds (he used stainless steel).
    If you want the more conventional fretless tone get tapewounds or flatwounds.
    Experiment.