Best Strings for G&L 2500?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jackaroe, Dec 19, 2002.

1. jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    Hey guys, I tried the search and came up empty handed. I purchased my g&l, from a fellow TBer, back in July and figured the strings are in need of a change. Ive never purchased new strings before, so I was wondering, do certain brands/types bring you a certain sound, and go well for the type of music you play? Or are they more suitable with the bass they're being played on?? Also, I play in a "jamband", so I guess something that helps Cut through the mix?? Thanx as I'm clueless on whats out there -jay
  2. Unless it is a really early one, you'll need Super Long scale strings if you want to string through the body. D'Addario makes them for just about every type of string they make.

I use D'Addario XL on mine in super long guage. They are a pretty good all purpose string.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I always used XLs on my L2500 as well. I think the bass is a bit agressive and edgy for steels. But well-suited for nickels. XLs aren't the longest lasting strings in the world, but they aren't too hard on the budget, so it isn't aweful to replace them a little more regularly.

If you wan't something else, try some sunbeams. They are very sweets nickels.

4. yea...I got my G&L in August and changed my strings within a month...cuz the ones it came on,I thought they've been having the same problem as you,trying to find strings that could complement the far I've been finding that I prefer steel over nickel on the
    I've tried 3 sets of strings, DR Lo Riders(they sounded great but tore my fingers), Ernie Ball Super Slinkies(they sounded great,felt great,recommend them) and now I have Fat Beams on them(I'm loving the dead,raw sound they have) and in the next month or so,I plan on using High Beams.....

keep me updated with what kinda strings you're using...I'd like someone else's feedback on the strings on the L2500
  5. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    TI Powerbass strings sound excellent on the L2000 / L2500 series basses. They really match the tones of the bass. They are a little more expensive, but they last a lot longer.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I got a set of Warwick Black label strings for Christmas last year, and I have to say that they are the best strings I have ever put on my L-2500.

I got even tone across the whole range, on all the strings, and a sound that wasnt too bright, but still bright enough. They also sounded great months later. I didnt change them untill October, and even still the only reason I changed them was because I was woried about how much longer they'd last. Not that I had a ny real reason to worry.

7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I hear powerbass are great, but I like SIT rock brights, which are cheaper for my G&L.
  8. jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    hmmm, thanx for all the suggestions. The previous owner had Pedula Steels that he put on in April. I'm gonna do alittle more research and then decide.