1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best strings for Höfner Violin and Club basses

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by valloti, Oct 1, 2015.

1. valloti

valloti

Mar 6, 2010
    Berlin, Germany
    Dear all,
    i'm getting my second Höfner, this time an old one from 1967. I do own an Ignition Club bass which works amazingly good. Now, there's been a lot of money spending here and i don't wanna buy more expensive strings just to try. I'm used to thick strings but due to an emergency i only could get the Höfner strings for my Club bass which are only .40 but they're ok.
    Have any of you try the LaBella Beatle .50 strings? Are they any good? I've read here some neck problems with those even if they were designed for these basses. I'm a bit scared cause i don't want to shag my vintage Höfner's neck. Any advice would be highly appreciated. The sound i'm looking for? Vintage soul, funk, pop...anything from the 60'/70'.
    Thanks! ;)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  2. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    I'm using the TI flats set for Hofners...the lower tension is key to keeping the neck unbowed. Like you, I wouldn't want to risk any possible damage to my instrument from using a heavy string.

Levin likes this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

+1 w/gary m.

Tomsatik-Infeld flatwounds for Höfner Beatle Bass.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021