Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best strings for Jazz bass (Essex)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OxhadokenxO, Jan 12, 2003.

1. I don't know much about bass except I love playing it and I've heard some people saying the stock strings on Essex basses aren't good. But I have NO idea on what strings to get for it. What are the best strings to put on a jazz bass, I play pretty much everything from metal to classical.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I like Sadowsky Strings, GHS Strings, ernie Ball Strings.

You might get some more info <a href="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=15&forumid=16"><b><u>here</b></u></a>.

3. I'm looking for something with a bright tone and thats easy on the fingers. Should I get steel or nickel? Round or flat? and what gauge should I buy? I know nothing about strings...since this would be my first set.

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I like Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats. They are bright sounding (for flats), low tension (hence easier to play), and long lasting. I use them for all styles. They cut through the mix very nicely. We play everything from simple blues to hard rock.

Dan

5. Where do you buy your strings? The music store here sucks and the only other option is Media Play...which I don't trust for music stuff after seeing their basses and guitars.

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I purchase my TI's from The Dude Pit which is run by Steve "Dude" Barr. You can go here and look for the Thomastik Infeld Forum. Ordering instructions are posted near the top of the forum. His service is extemely good. I live in Canada and I got them in 3 days.

Dan

7. I'm with Christle on this one, I got my TI Jazz Flats from the Dude too. He's straight up.