Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best strings for Jazz bass for "piano like" tone

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Yamarc, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am very much influenced by Anthony Jackson and wonder what type, size and brand of strings people prefer on their jazz for that piano like tone...what I mean to say is a tone that is very clear and can be manipulated effectively by varying technique and position...what cha got for me?

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Call the folks at Fodera. They sell the strings that Anthony Jackson (supposedly) uses.

3. I use nickel XL D'Addario's on all of my basses. On my more hi-fi instruments, I get that tone perfectly - so clear in fact that you can hear at least 2 distinct harmonic overtones even unplugged! My favorite Jazz (SD Active EQ pups, J-Retro pre) doesn't quite get the same over the top tone from the same strings - with expectations adjusted for the instrument of course. But I believe that a switch from the nickel D'Addario's to the stainless steel might be all that's needed to change that. I haven't tested my theory yet but that's where I'm headed.

4. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    doesnt Rotosound have some Piano strings for Bass? i think they have... www.rotosound.com i think Geddy Lee Used 'em for a while, but they had an different name then...

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    The Rotosound "Piano String Design" is something that they created however many other manufacturers make a similar design now. They are called "Contact Core" where the only part of the string that passes over the bridge saddle is the center core wire of the string.

Players known to use the Rotosound "PSD's" include Stanley Clarke, John Paul Jones and Mark King.

6. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>> They used to get packaged as their own brand called
    "Superwound"...

Slug

7. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> After trying a dozen sets of the PSD's I've found the
    RS 66's seem to sound more piano-like to me...More mass
    over the saddle appears to make the string vibrate better,
    sustain longer and provide more bottom end and volume. Just
    my opinion.

Slug

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    You're not the first person I've heard that from Slug...TA Curtis down in Jamul, CA said the same thing and he used to swear by the PSD's.

9. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >> Mass=energy/volume. Inertia=sustain.

Slug
    six-pack physicist

10. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
  11. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Have'nt had a bad one in the last 100 sets or so.

Slug

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Cool....thanks! I keep seeing people bagging on Rostosound QC all over the net yet I haven't seen it on my end as a dealer.

I replace more TI strings than Rotosound and that's not saying much.

I dumped Dean Markley last year because it seemed every other set had a bad string in them and it was just a hassle.

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Another thing I've seen when going into various stores that carry Roto's is often times they are sitting there in the old logo boxes, the ones where the lion on the front is an actual photograph instead of the newer lion drawing.

If you're buying Rotos with the photograph lion on the box then they're at least 3+ years old.

Strings have a max "shelf life" of about 4 years in any environmental condition so that may be part of the problem.

People are buying 3-4 year old "new" sets.

14. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> I had a very long conversation with Hammer (before he left), he said the whole dead string thing was an issue with the distribution system before he came on board as Rotosound USA, some of the product had become stale dated (strings have a shelf life) and also with some of the more antiquated machinery at the factory, which has all been improved and updated. I've tried almost every single brand of string known to man (even some of which are not available in the US market,such as Picato) and I've come back to Rotosound for good. They treat me like gold...I dropped by the booth at NAMM and spoke to Coral..She's running the show here in the US until they find a replacement for Hammer.
    I was disappointed to find out he had left...

Slug

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I know...I was shocked to hear that at the show as well...Hammer was my very best NAMM Show drinking buddy from way back when he was still Hamid!!

NAMM shows after hours won't be the same without him!

(me and The Hamster on the left)

Attached Files:

16. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> AND YOU DIDN'T INVITE ME??????

Cheers,
    Slug

17. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    If you happen to get an e-mail from him, let me know..
    I'd like to wish him well..

Thx

Slug

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ

Sorry...oh I could tell you a few stories...LOL...I'll refrain in public but we used to rip it up pretty hard there in Nashville. I will get contact information for him. He was hands down the best CS Rep in the business...helluva salesman I tell ya!

I'd call him to order a few sets of oddballs for a customer or something and I'd hang up the phone a half hour later with like 3 cases with on order and I'd say "Damn! He did it to me again!!" :rolleyes:

Great guy! He will be missed!

19. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Yep!!!
    Thx
    Slug

20. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    His departure was a pretty sudden thing so I'm not sure what went down but Martin only told me that he's back in the UK working for a distribution company...I'll find him.

I did meet Coral and she seemed very nice as well, I just don't think she's the "Nudie Bar" type ya know????