Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Strings for Martin B-1 Acoustic Bass ??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by uprightman, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Hi and thanks for reading this thread. What in your opinion are the best strings to use on a Martin B-1 acoustic bass? Thanks ! :help:

2. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I don't have a Martin, but I prefered the TI Acousticores on my Takamine EG512 rather then the stock bronze strings.

I have LaBella Black Nylon Tape Wounds on my Takamine B-10 and like them a lot. They have a warm tone with lots of growl and sustain.
    I just ordered two sets of these, so when I replace the B-10's, the used set will go on the 512. I think these strings will eliminat fret buzz on the 512.

Do a search in this forum for ABG, you'll get a lot of input.

M.

3. vick

vick

Jan 9, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    I haven't played a Martin B-1, but on my Takamine, I was always fond of the Martin Light acoustic strings. I tried the Ernie Ball earthwhatever strings and was not impressed.

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I still have the original bronze ones on my B-1, but I am itching to change them. I tried Acousticores on another bass, but I remember them as being rather low tension. Am I right? I know nothing of tapewounds.

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    You can use whatever you want within reason. Bronzewounds give a "big acoustic guitar" sound, TI Acousticores are very rich sounding but not might be as loud acoustically. Tapewounds are going to sound deeper and have less overetones. Flats can be a good choice too. I use TI Flats on my Tacoma and I love it. Very URB-like.

I just had a chance to play a friend's Martin Sigma ABG strung with bronzewounds and it definitely had that "big acoustic guitar" sound, but still got funky with some palm muting.

I'd try to keep the gauges in the medium to light range, but otherwise everything is in play.

6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Yes, very right. They are about the lowest tension bass strings I have played in standard tuning. That doesn't necessarily equal lower volume on an acoustic instrument, but it will take some technique adjustment. I played a Turner Ren with Acousticores for a few years and once i adjusted there was the world of tone in that bass. if youa re playing plugged in then you can really let them do the work and they sound amazing.