Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Strings for me?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by S. Byrnes, Mar 17, 2002.

1. I have a Deluxe Fender 5 string jazz bass I use for jazz band and theatre band(Fame). What are the best strings for me? Thanks!
    -Skip

2. We can't tell you. It's a secret.

No, seriously, we can't tell you, but that's because it's a personal choice. No one can tell you that but you. I use EB Slinkys on my 5 string, but you may not like them, same with any other string. If I was you, I'd tell us more about what kind of music you play and what kind of sound you want, and then try any one of the types suggested. Then remember whether you like them or not for next time.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The answer to "what are the best?" is simply a matter of taste and what you need for the music you play, as Uly says.

We don't even know which strings are on it now. So, there's no point of reference we have to help you.

First, what is it about your current strings that you don't like? The feel??? Not enough treble zing? Not enough low-end thump???

If that seems too fussy, I'd say just to try a set of DR Lo-Riders. At least you'll know what top quality strings without too much high/low end emphasis sound like on your bass......and, no, I don't use those strings, so it's not a "what I have is best" reco.

4. My current strings are some worn out Ernie Ball strings that sounded kind of Metallic when i first put them on, but now theyre just dull and have no sustain. I want a sound thats not metallic but will sustain a sound for longer than 4 beats. Thanks
    -Skip