Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best strings for me?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fat jonny, Nov 19, 2000.

1. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    Hi, I have been playing for about 2 years and have never really found a set of strings that I like a lot. I play rock and metal and use an ibanez Ergodyne 5 string. I also use a pick most of the time. Does anyone know how flats would work with a pick? Do flats feel a lot different from roundwounds? Also I have been using DR strings, but I can't afford to keep buying them at about $35- $40 a set, so something a little cheaper would be preferred. Thanks a lot!

2. Stingray

Stingray

May 12, 2000
    Hey fat Jonny try dean markleys i think there great and depending on where you by them you can get the blue steel kind for like between 25-30 dollars and will lee customs for like a couple more bucks hope this helps

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, fj, flatwounds would certainly give you a different sound. I like Fender Flatwounds quite a bit, and while they are VERY different from roundwounds, they can give you a really agressive sound, especially with a pick. If you boost your mids a little (I like to boost at 800 hz. or so) you can get a real bark out of them. They won't have the "ring" of rounds, but more thump with good bite nonetheless. I think if you EQ them right, you may be able to "cut through" better even than with roundwounds.

Steve Harris uses Rotosound flats, and he's got a fat, aggressive tone. I personally don't like the Rotos, but you might. Oh, yeah, the Fenders are pretty cheap for flats, the Rotos are a lot more. Both will keep their tone for a long time.

I'm using a P-Bass. I haven't tried an Ergodyne, so YMMV and all that.