Best strings for me?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fat jonny, Nov 19, 2000.

1. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    Hi, I have been playing for about 2 years and have never really found a set of strings that I like a lot. I play rock and metal and use an ibanez Ergodyne 5 string. I also use a pick most of the time. Does anyone know how flats would work with a pick? Do flats feel a lot different from roundwounds? Also I have been using DR strings, but I can't afford to keep buying them at about $35- $40 a set, so something a little cheaper would be preferred. Thanks a lot!
  2. Stingray

May 12, 2000
    Hey fat Jonny try dean markleys i think there great and depending on where you by them you can get the blue steel kind for like between 25-30 dollars and will lee customs for like a couple more bucks hope this helps
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, fj, flatwounds would certainly give you a different sound. I like Fender Flatwounds quite a bit, and while they are VERY different from roundwounds, they can give you a really agressive sound, especially with a pick. If you boost your mids a little (I like to boost at 800 hz. or so) you can get a real bark out of them. They won't have the "ring" of rounds, but more thump with good bite nonetheless. I think if you EQ them right, you may be able to "cut through" better even than with roundwounds.

Steve Harris uses Rotosound flats, and he's got a fat, aggressive tone. I personally don't like the Rotos, but you might. Oh, yeah, the Fenders are pretty cheap for flats, the Rotos are a lot more. Both will keep their tone for a long time.

I'm using a P-Bass. I haven't tried an Ergodyne, so YMMV and all that.