1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best strings for Modern Player Telecaster Bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thumper, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I have a tracking # for my butterscotch blonde MPT :smug:. I assume the strings will be whatever generic roundwounds Fender uses. I have several new sets of new or gently used strings to replace them with:

Fender strings that came with my CS NOS '59P
    Medium guage Sunbeams
    Medium guage D'addario XLs
    GHS Brite flatwounds (also medium)

For reference, the bass will be used for Classic Rock. I currently use Sunbeams (CS '59 P, Road Worn P), nickle Lowriders (55-94), Black Beauties (Carvin L75f), TI Jazz flats (Zon 5/1), and Chrome lights ('66 Jazz).

I'll have a better feel for the topic after I receive & practice with the Tele, but would like opinions on which strings may be the best starting point. I'm leaning towards the Sunbeams.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Sunbeams, the best sounding of those on your list imo. Lol.

3. It's been said that the stock Fender Strings are made by D'Addario.

As for what's best it's the set you like best. I love the GHS Pressure Wounds on my Jazz Bass and I like GHS Prescision Flats on a PBass but that's me. You need to know what you like.

fretlessguy likes this.
  4. I just played one of those just a few hours ago and it seems like a very nice bass. Honestly, it seemed like it would do a lot better with flats on it, but I also didn't get to play it long and was only on the neck pickup. Probably didn't help any, but just my opinion

5. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I see from you Sig that one of your basses has TI flats strung on them. Try those on it and see how it works. If they don't fit the bill, GHS flats or Roto 77s might to the trick. From the review video (singular) that I've seen from it, they describe that it can get the usual P-bass sound and a bit of the Jazz bass side as well. If that's truly the case, Roto 77s or Chromes.

6. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Never mind, I got it today and it came with nice strings (D'addarios, complete with the multi-color ball ends). So far, it sounds so good (admittedly not on a good rig), that I'll just play it with these strings until they die. And yes, although I'm a P guy, this bass has far more tonal variation than my '66 J or either of my P's, almost in the active territory. And the tone knob has more effect on the tone. So far, my favorite settings are full bridge PUP, and full bridge PUP with appx. 1/3 neck PUP. This may be the best $600 bass on the planet (I paid $500).

Fender clearly has a winner here. More comments available in a Basses thread.

Pyrat likes this.
  7. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    Only you can decide what are the best strings for a dual humbucker bass like that. If it was me - I'd be slapping a set of GHS Precision flats on there.

8. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I like the Pressurewounds quite a bit:

GHS Pressurewound Flats Bass Strings - 4 String Set

All the DR's mentioned are great strings as well. BSO.com has them all and if you sign up for a VIP membership (open to all talkbass members) you'lll save some extra cash. :)

9. Hanss

Hanss

May 9, 2016
    A few days back I placed Rotosound Swing 66 strings on my Telecaster bas. It sounds like a monster now.