1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best strings for my Fender American Standard P Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gaddiel Vazquez, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Hi to all,

I want to change my strings on my fender p bass and as you know there is a chance to put the new strings set through the body, do I have to buy an extra long scale strings?
    What do u recommend me.

Thanks in advance to all!

Attached Files:

gypsyfelon likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What do you like or not like about the strings that are on the bass now?

Iristone and murphy like this.
  3. Just I know they are D´addario strings, and they are old

4. As far as the string length is concerned, most "long scale" strings with 37 - 37.25" winding length (ball end to silk/taper) would be fine.

Here's how the GHS Pressurewounds with 37.25" winding length fit on my 2014 Am Std P bass thru-body:

[​IMG]

You can refer to this list to find the right length for your bass according to the manufacturers' specs:

Bass String Lengths by Manufacturer

kennettsq, 19sixty3, Mili and 3 others like this.
  5. grimjim

grimjim

Jan 26, 2014
    Chicago, Illinois
    Endorsing artist;DNA Amplification, GHS strings
    Always been a boomers guy, but that's one of the things you have to decide for yourself.

6. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    What kind of sound are you looking for?
    I personally like D'Addario Chromes for flats, and Fender 7250ML Nickel Plated Steel for rounds. Chromes for thump with some clarity, and the 7250ML for their grind.
    They seem to work for my sound, style, and body chemistry (my skin pH can kill certain strings). YMMV.

If you're a flats type guy, there's a thread open about a seller in Europe selling TI flats for a song. They'd last you forever.
    Hard to say without knowing what you like, what genre you're playing, what bass player's sound you like to emulate etc.
    Good luck.

LowCB likes this.
  7. Sorry, I forgot to mention it but I like a brighter sound therefore I only get roundwound strings not flat

gebass6 likes this.
  8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    That's a beautiful bass you've got there (mine's a 5 but looks exactly like it)!

There's no best string. Lots of things go into the decision - tone, feel, tension, stiffness, .... - so "best" would be the string that best fits your preferences along those parameters. ;)

Personally, I like a pretty stiff feeling string, so that rules some out (like TI Jazz flats, they're way too floppy for me). I also prefer a warmer sounding string and a longer string life is a factor as well.

Given those preferences, I loved how these strings have worked on my Precision:
    - For flats, Chromes are the string. They're pretty stiff feeling, which I love. They have a fuller deeper, softer sound than roundwounds without being too thuddy and indistinct. And they last a *long* time (like most flats).
    - It currently has LaBella deep Talkin' Flats on it, which I also like. They have a similar feel to the Chromes but the tone is quite different, much thumpier and without as much mid content as the Chromes (although more than I was led to believe from what I've read about the DTFs here on TB - I like them!). They do a great vintagey and old school tone but I'm doing less of that kind of thing now and need more of a rock tone, so I'm using other basses more than this one now. I might go back to Chromes eventually or else I might try....
    - DR nickel Lo Riders are the string I've liked best on my Precision. They have a similar feel to the Labellas and Chromes, but these string turn my Precision into a FANTASTIC rock bass. I love the warm lo mids and get just enough ring from them to make them perfect in a rock context. If I was a pick player, they'd probably sound even better on this bass!

Gaddiel Vazquez likes this.
  9. You could consult Fender Customer Service online, but I'm guessing IF you string through the body, you will need X-Long-Scale strings; someone who owns one and has done this could chime in here . . . . .

For brighter tone use roundwounds, and stainless roundwounds will be brightest. Flats are very smooth sounding and easier on the fingers, but these will be through-the-bridge only: IIRC, most flatwounds are NOT recommended for through the body installation.

Most of us have found no real-world advantage to stringing through the body, so top-loading only through the bridge would allow you to use regular long-scale strings which would give you more choices. It's up to you.

downunder and Gaddiel Vazquez like this.
  10. See post #4. ;)

11. Boy, I blew right past it. Thanks for the correction and clarification.

michael_t likes this.
  12. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    TI jazz flats sound amazing but are also the most expensive

Next best option to me, are Ernie Ball Cobalt flats

I’m personally not a fan of D’Addario chromes

Gaddiel Vazquez likes this.
  13. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Your bass came factory stock with medium gauge Fender 7250. They enjoy a strong following of players. Hex core GHS Bass Boomers are the string for power rock bass. I am currently enamored with GHS Balanced Nickels on my American Professional Precision. Long scale works just fine on any 34" scale Fender bass for either bridge through or body through stringing.

trothwell, Iristone and 19sixty3 like this.
  14. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I am a long time lover of DR HiBeam strings for all my basses

15. I've been using Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies and Rotosound rs66LD's (standards) on my American P basses. I love both of those options.

And both work fine through the body.

16. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    There is no such thing as the best string. Each players has his own preferences for the feel, tension and tone.

I love SS Hi-Beams, Dunlop Nickel Super Brite and EB Colbalt flats.

IamGroot and Gaddiel Vazquez like this.
  17. In fact, on my Peavey T-40 I have DR Hi beams 45-105

murphy likes this.
  18. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Long scale work fine string through on the newer fenders. I do prefer top load.

There a lot of great strings out there. Really comes down to personal preference. For rounds I like Labella RX Nickels (pretty inexpensive) My favorite are DR Nickel Lo Riders.

I personally don't care for the feel of steel strings so can't help there.

19. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    The best strings for an American Standard P are the ones you like.

Sorry, that’s not what you want to hear, but it’s the truth. I like Ernie Ball Slinkys and DR Lowrider Nickels on my AS P (it’s a 5) — you may hate them.

20. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    An American Standard? What year?