Best strings for plywood basses?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Turbocharbo, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

I just got my first bass. It's a 60 year old all plywood German bass. Although it is not near the sound of any carved bass, I'd like to exploit it to its fullest potential. Once set up right, I think this bass is going to take me through my begining stages of learning. Anyways my question is: what are the best strings for plywood basses? I will be doing both classical and jazz so I will need a set for both. I'd like to get a warm vintage tone, something that will open up the bass a bit. Also, what is the cheapest place on the net for strings?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    It's impossible to say, as every string will sound and play differently on a variety of basses. You should probably spend some time in the newbie links here, and the string forum in particular, if you haven't done so already. Ask your teacher, and any other experienced bassists nearby.

That said, I think that Pirastro Obligatos are a good starting point, given your description of your current playing demands. Although I've recently switched to another string, I found them to really cover a lot of bases very well. They play beautifully, sound great on a variety of basses, and they aren't terribly expensive, even though they have a reputation for a relatively short useful life. There are other variations on the same theme, and they've been discussed at length in these forums.

I've always gotten great string prices and good service from Lemur Music. My most recent string purchase was from Quinn Violins, who provided the best price and service that I could find on the web.