1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best strings for Reggae Dub?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jokerone, Mar 8, 2013.

1. I have a Fender Active Jazz Bass, and I&#8217;m wanting to put the darkest flatwound strings I can find for a reasonable price (< $50).

For a Reggae Dub sound like King Tubby/Robbie Shakespeare/Dennis Bovell.

Can someone tell me if you have had any good experiences with these Rotosound Tru 88s? Should I look at another tape/coated string for this genre?
    http://www.rotosound.com/tru_88.php

Thanks in advance!! :)

2. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Old ones?
    i mean ..personally i dont think the type matters too much,but i dont think you want that zippity new string sound.
    jmo..prolly not too helpful.

3. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Try some Labellas

4. thanks.
    your right I don't. Nor do I want the metal clanking against the frets. I guess thats the newbie in me and not the strings.. ;)

5. RJHall

RJHall

Dec 25, 2012
    New York City
    +1 Deep Talkin Flats. Done. Close thread.

6. I use La Bella 760FM's and an Ovation Magnum for my super Reggae setup. I used to use 760 FM's on my active EMG PJ bass, and that sounded awesome as well. You may want to also use a mute.

7. Are the Deep Talkin Labella's flatwound or does it matter if they have tape? (its the newbie in me showing again.) :D

8. I've never used Tapewounds, but I'm sure a lot of old school reggae bassist used Flatwounds.

9. I use GHS Precision 95-45 for reggae.
    It's thumpy and not very bright bright sounding. They are the only flats I don't need to mute. And they are prettt cheap.

10. RJHall

RJHall

Dec 25, 2012
    New York City
    All varieties, but I was referring to LaBella flats. But tapes would be sweet for dub too! There are so many great flat/tape options. Buy your strings and read reviews at www.bassstringsonline.com and email the owner (a TB member) about TB VIP pricing!

11. cst bass

cst bass

Jun 3, 2011
    i use labella tapewounds on my fretless. i love these strings for a lot of reasons, but i think they might be too growly in the upper mids for dub.

i would definitley go flatwound

12. If I could get this bass sound out of my strings, I would be a happy camper..

13. cst bass

cst bass

Jun 3, 2011
    whats your amp/cab set up?

14. Right now nothing other than Ampeg SVX (VST) on the computer. I'm strictly interesting in studio recording only, no live stuff.

thanks

15. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
  16. cst bass

cst bass

Jun 3, 2011
  18. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yep---Labella Deep Talkin'---they are the most "classic" flats IMO. And, NEVER change 'em! I've got a 10 year old pair on a pbass that just keep sounding better and better--have used it a ton for reggae and dub, both live and studio. A Jazz would work great too of course. Since yours is active, you may have to take some extra steps to get that classic sound you're after if your particular bass sounds decidedly "active". Consider a foam mute along with those flats if the bass is too sustainy. Then of course it's gonna be in the hands too....
    I use the SVX regularly as well, and I really like the classic reggae tone I can get with the B15 model in there more than the SVT FWIW. Play with moving the virtual mic away from the cab a little. Don't over-compress either--that sound needs to breath and bounce. Then I add a little of the Waves Kramer tape plug-in on top and it is very tasty indeed.

19. Cool. I'm glad to hear someone like the SVT (VST) who knows bass. Not something you want to drag to a gig, but for recording i'm really happy with the tone.

20. Cool, I've seen this youtube video before. Is this you?
    He does a great job.