1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best strings for reggae on Ibanez 4-string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bobcruz, May 4, 2004.

1. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    Alameda, CA
    Hi, I consider myself a clueless beginner, even though I've been messing around on my 4-string Ibanez SDGR with its original strings (nickel or SS? Can't tell) and rosewood fingerboard for almost 3 years. I really don't play all that much, so maybe there's only six months worth of playing on the strings compared to someone who plays all the time. I think the original strings sound OK, but they seem a little mid-rangy, maybe nasal sounding to me. I don't pop and slap. In fact, I like reggae the best. So what strings should I get? After reading this forum a little, I'm thinking nickel flatwounds--is that right? I happened to have a set of GHS Boomers I picked up cheap and just tried them out, and they're WAY too bright and ping-y, lots of string ring and fret noise. Maybe my originals are long dead but they sound better to me. So what should I get for the deep, mellow roots sound?

2. any type of flatwounds.
    real easy on the fingers and you'll get that smooth heavy bottom sound.

Glenn