Best strings for rockabilly slap bass?

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Chris Paget, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Chris Paget

Chris Paget

Sep 1, 2008
    I have been researching this.. have found that there are some alternatives to gut strings because of their cost and maintenance.

I'm trying to decide between these two:
    http://www.gotofmi.com/upbaclkerowe.html

and

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1250-STRING_SETS_EUROSONIC_UPRIGHT_BASS_STRINGS.html

Can't help but notice the price difference. Are there any things I should look out for? Do the Weedwacker strings perform as well? From those who have played both, what are the differences?

Any other advice on buying a first set of strings for upright slap bass would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    There is a wealth of knowledge over at www.rockabillybass.com on this stuff. I would suggest you check the strings forum over there.

3. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    +1.

In addition to weedwackers and Ultralights, you should consider any of the Innovation strings. I use the Rockabillies, but Silver Slaps seem to be a popular alternative to guts.

4. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    If you are *only* going to slap, and play through an amp frequently - Weedwackers do just fine. They take a loooong time to stretch out, you'll probably need to widen the slots on your bridge/nut (which you'd need to do for gut anyway), and the low tension can counter-intuitively make more work for your hands then higher tension strings. But, they're cheap, they literally last forever, and once they finally stretch in they sound pretty decent (even acoustically) when slapped.

I just started using the Eurosonic/Presto strings - just switched from the Ultralights to the Lights. They're really cool sounding IMO - very slappable, but with more projection and sustain while playing pizz. If you are at all interested in playing other kinds of music other than rockabilly I'd spring for the Eurosonics or something similar.

Hey Bass - when you coming through the Peg again?

5. Chris Paget

Chris Paget

Sep 1, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered the weedwackers after reading the acclaim for them on another thread here.

6. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Hi Moles, glad you asked, we just finished our Summer Alberta Invasion, a smashing success. And we're planning to return to Winnipeg this fall, maybe October, but nothing is arranged yet.

l_68e9f933ed594aca8bbe9069311c871d.png

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021