Best strings for slap/pop?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KG4MOX, Apr 14, 2003.

1. I play pretty heavy slap/pop right now. Earlier tonight I popped my G string (no jokes, please) and it snapped down by the bridge. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the THIRD ONE IN A MONTH! :mad: I can't keep giving out $30 for new strings this often. (And sometime this week I'm going to have a band audition...on new strings...ain't that great?)

What have been y'alls experience with this? what types of strings work best for slap and pop? I've been using Fender nickel roundwounds, don't know what gauge, but the E is .100 but it dosen't say what unit that's measured in.

Any help would be great. Tommorrow I'm going to the store to buy some new ones. would love some responses by then.

2. Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Third G in a month? You should take it to a good repair/tech/set-up guy as this is a little steep, IMO. If there's nothing wrong with your bridge, bridge angle and there's no burrs, etc. I suggest trying a better made string than whatever you were using like a Western European manufacturer lise Pyramid, Thomastik-Infeld or Rotosound. These should last you longer than a domestic, especially seeing as how you like to beat up strings like I do.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    1. Don't pop that hard. You should not be popping hard enough to break a string. I've been playing slap for months now and I haven't broken a single string.

2. Fender strings are widely considered garbage. Try something from DR (fatbeams come to mind, the review of them I read spoke very highly of them), Ernie Ball, D'addario, and Rotosound.
  4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Your breaking strings popping? Then you are doing something wrong. I've been doing it for 27 or 29 years and never did that. Some think it is cool to pull the string a foot away from the fretboard but all you get there is uneven sound and a wornout neck. When that style was started it was not called slapping it was called thumping (with the thumb). along comes some rocket scientist that starts beating his hand and thumb against the neck and the name of the technique has changed. If you notice any one who does it well makes it look effortless. Take your time, limit your hand and wrist movement. try thumping with your four finger nails touching and not leaving the pickguard, this will leave pointing and your middle finger in place to pop. Forget the flash learn the technique then flash with the technique. Also when you learn a style of playing try to learn the correct approach, bad habits are hard to break. also learn to be economical with your playing, you don't want to be dead after one or two songs. Oh and to the guy who hates fender strings, guess what? my guitar rep told me over a year ago the DR strings were bought by Fender. but they did not buy the tooling that DR had. I used to use DR's on all basses at one time till I noticed a difference.
  5. I think the best bet for you would be Ernie Balls or D'addarios. Right now im useing Ernie Ball regular slinkys. They are awesome for slapping and poping. good sound, and iv never broke any ever. Next time i get strings, im gonna try out D'addarios, i herd they were better from a friend so im gonna give them a try. But really, the only thing i can reccomend that iv had experiance with were the ernie ball regular slinkys. there good stuff.
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I use DR low riders, Dean Markey blue steels(nickelwound), D'addario prizm's. I have also used slapmasters by Ken Smith:bassist:
  7. I looked at the bridge and, sure enough, there was a burr on the saddle. I just flipped it around to the other side for now, but might buy a new one later. What pyrohr described about the style is exactly what I do. I think I'll try some Sunbeams. I agree with the Fender being crap comment. I'll have to order the DR's online 'cause the only place near where I live does not carry them and overcharges for everything anyway.

I might try some Fat Beams sometime, but I'm used to nickel wound. But, always try new things!!

8. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Personally I use Ernie Ball slinkys, but I have heard very good things about DR strings for slapping (try Hi-Beams maybe).
  9. Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    If it's still a problem, get a thicker set of strings. I don't know what you have on now, but it's stinking hard to break a 45 or 50 G string. I second the technique suggestions too.
  10. My vote: DR Lowriders, wow.
    I just changed from Ernie Ball Slinky, and the DR Lowriders sound and play much better.
    Rotosounds sound good, and play well, but they tended to eat my frets.
    Please, don't snap too hard!
  11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    GHS boomers. Great price, not too bright, great feel.

On a J-bass, of course.
  12. hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    DR Highbeams are great and they last a long time.
  13. Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    Anyone try the Marcus Miller sig DR strings? Hi-Beams in fancy packaging?
  14. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I use DR's. I use the Hi Beams, Lo Riders and the Marcus set was really nice too. They seemed more like Lo Riders to me though. If they are too expensive I would agree with the EB Slinkys and D'Addarrio's too.
  15. Ken Smith Slap Masters are my choice.