Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best strings for slapping and/or popping?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by die_Heavies, Jun 3, 2003.

1. die_Heavies

die_Heavies

May 19, 2003
    (excuse.me.for.the.periods.but.my.spacebar.is.currently.broken)

What.kind.of.strings.would.you.reccomend?Also.what.kind.of.gauge.would.work.best?

thanks.in.advance.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I recommend stainless steel roundwounds.
    Brand and gauge are personal preference (some also prefer nickels or nickel-plated stainless steels), but I think it works best with lighter gauges, e.g. .040-.0100 or lighter.
    I even use .035-.095.

3. ksdaddy

ksdaddy

Jul 5, 2002
    Caribou, ME
    I think gauge and action height are most important. I bought an early 80s P-Bass a couple years ago, put on a set of D'Addario 45-100 (XL170s) and set it up low.... it pops and snaps great! I recently picked up an old Peavey T-40 with 50-105s, and even with ultra low action, it was difficult to get the snappy tone. I switched to 45-100s, bingo!

So the short answer is, it's mainly in the setup.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have found that the best gauge for pop an slap is 40 to 100 or 45 to 103 or 105.
    The best strings I have found for this are DR hi-beams steels or nickels.
    DR lo-riders nickel
    Dean markey blue steels
    Smiths slap masters
    D'addario prism's
    These are just some of what I use on the basses I use to thump and pop on. ymmv

5. Try some Fodera's. When they die they still sound and play great. Plus they just have great tension which enhances any bass. $60 per pack though (I play a five string exclusively though). Great for everything.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I use 45-105 Prisms on my Sterling, I don't play primarily slap, but if my guitarist is palm muting, I may slap/pop to accent his muting.

My slap tone is fine. Not sure if the gauge may not work on some other bassed or not.