1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

best strings for slapping and/or popping?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by die_Heavies, Jun 3, 2003.

1. die_Heavies

die_Heavies

May 19, 2003
    (excuse.me.for.the.periods.but.my.spacebar.is.currently.broken)

What.kind.of.strings.would.you.reccomend?Also.what.kind.of.gauge.would.work.best?

thanks.in.advance.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I recommend stainless steel roundwounds.
    Brand and gauge are personal preference (some also prefer nickels or nickel-plated stainless steels), but I think it works best with lighter gauges, e.g. .040-.0100 or lighter.
    I even use .035-.095.

3. ksdaddy

ksdaddy

Jul 5, 2002
    Caribou, ME
    I think gauge and action height are most important. I bought an early 80s P-Bass a couple years ago, put on a set of D'Addario 45-100 (XL170s) and set it up low.... it pops and snaps great! I recently picked up an old Peavey T-40 with 50-105s, and even with ultra low action, it was difficult to get the snappy tone. I switched to 45-100s, bingo!

So the short answer is, it's mainly in the setup.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have found that the best gauge for pop an slap is 40 to 100 or 45 to 103 or 105.
    The best strings I have found for this are DR hi-beams steels or nickels.
    DR lo-riders nickel
    Dean markey blue steels
    Smiths slap masters
    D'addario prism's
    These are just some of what I use on the basses I use to thump and pop on. ymmv

5. Try some Fodera's. When they die they still sound and play great. Plus they just have great tension which enhances any bass. $60 per pack though (I play a five string exclusively though). Great for everything.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I use 45-105 Prisms on my Sterling, I don't play primarily slap, but if my guitarist is palm muting, I may slap/pop to accent his muting.

My slap tone is fine. Not sure if the gauge may not work on some other bassed or not.