Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Strings for upright sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by plester102, Dec 6, 2002.

1. I've just replaced the upright acoustic player in a jazz combo. I'll be playing my Fender jazz fretless bass. Any suggestions as to which strings I should use to best simulate the upright acoustic sound?

Most of the tunes are 40's or 50's jazz pieces.

Thanks,

Paul

2. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i saw on lemurmusic.com in the online catalog that they have some thomastik flatwounds for electric basses, maybe you should check those out.
    the're like 45 bucks or something, i'd like to know how they sound.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, the Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flatwounds are good, I've got 'em on my fretless. They do give an upright-like tone, especially when you play near the neck. These strings are generally considered to be good for an upright like sound. As far as price is concerned, I think they were about £26.95, that's UK pounds though.

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    You might also want to consider raising your action a bit and installing some kind of a mute at the bridge end. Finally, if you really want to go for it, consider installing a piezo system.