Best strings for USA G&L L2000 bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by heave1, Aug 7, 2018.

1. heave1

heave1

Mar 11, 2018
    What are the best flatwound strings for a USA G&L L2000 bass that would provide deeper mellower sounds, rather than bright?
    And what is the best size?
    I play mainly blues and classic rock.

2. I don't play the L2000 specifically, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the "deeper mellower sound" of the GHS Precision Flats (3025, 45-60-75-95) on my Am Std P. Very comfortable tension (not too stiff, not too loose) and nicely balanced tone across all four strings.

3. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I've been using Chromes on my L-2500 for about a year and a half and LOVE them on that bass. They're brighter than the average flat, but I think the L-series sounds better with some brightness in the tone. They're also more subdued sounding than the average round, so you get some clarity without the typical roundwound sound. For reference, it had the TI Jazz Flats the previous owner put on it (wasn't thrilled with the sound and I HATED the loose feel), then I think S.I.T. Power nickels (not bad), and DR nickel Lo Riders (my favorite overall strings, loved them on it, but still wanted to tame the bass just a little). Keep in mind that they're pretty stiff feeling, so if you like a very easy, supple feel then Chromes are probably not the string for you.

I played in a southern rock band that dissolved soon after after I put the Chromes on it (so I only used it maybe twice) and it sounded fantastic in that setting. I'm now playing with a weekly jam that does mostly British Invasion with some 50's and late 60's early 70's rock thrown in and also in a startup that's doing mostly earlier classic rock and some blues. That bass has sounds great in both of those situations as well.

Other flats I've tried are:
    - The TI Jazz flats I already mentioned. The previous owner of my Precision V also put them on that bass and they sounded OK, better than I thought they sound on the L-2500. But they have a very loose feel that I just don't like at all. They also have their own mid-forward sound, not actually bright but with a lot of presence. I don't need that kind of emphasis on the basses I'm using. But if you like a (very) loose feel and that's the kind of sound you want, a lot of people here swear by them so they'd probably be worth checking out.
    - Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats - Not on my L-2500, but on my Stingray 5HH. They sounded good but were brighter than I wanted in a flat. They also have a looser feel than I prefer, but it wasn't too bad. However, they had a weird sticky feel that didn't clean off and never went away. It always felt to me like a toddler had just played that bass and then handed it back to me. :eek: FWIW, I just put Chromes on it and will get to test them out tonight with the classic rock band.
    - LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats - I've only had them on my Precision V (for about two years now) and I love the way they sound. They also have that stiffer feel that I really like, so be aware of that if you don't like that kind of feel. I also think they have an incredibly smooth feel, even for a flat. I've considered trying them on my L-2500 after the Chromes wear out.

TL;DR: I love Chromes on my L-2500!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  4. heave1

heave1

Mar 11, 2018
    Thanks so much. I’m nowhere close to a pro, just a bedroom picker. I like blues and classic rock and 50’s as well as classic country. I like deeper bass sound that sounds like a bass.
    Great info.

5. heave1

heave1

Mar 11, 2018
    My L2000 came with D’Addario EXL 170 roundwound and they seem to be to twangy. And too loose. I think they’re pretty cheap and they may have been on the bass for 2-3 years.
    It’s a new 2016 dealer demo, according to the dealer (Guitar Center OKC).

6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Ha, I'm no pro either! I futzed around in my basement for several years before I decided it was time to justify the gear I accumulated. So I took lessons for a while and, once our son got out of high school, starting looking for people to play with. So I'm a late beginner who's having fun trying to learn what I can and suck less tomorrow than I do today. :D

Just keep playing and never stop learning! :bassist:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  7. Welcome to the Late Bloomers Club!

It was my son taking up the bass to play for the high school jazz band that in turn inspired me to take up the bass for the first time in my life at the age of 52. That was 9 yrs ago. Hopefully I'm getting better each day. ;)

dave64o likes this.
  8. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    One thing I've found out here is that, even though there are a lot of players here who've been playing since they were kids, there are more "late bloomers" here than I might have once suspected. It's always great hearing from the long-timers and getting their experienced POV, but it's also really good hearing from the late bloomers because we often have a very different perspective - and one that not all the long-timers see. Or appreciate. ;)

I'm extremely happy with how the Chromes are working for me on my L for all the reasons I mentioned above. But I'd still kind of like to hear others' responses, too, just to see what I might learn. I have my favorite strings that I always seem to go back to, but I still like trying new ones once in a while to see if there's something else I might like better.

michael_t likes this.
  9. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Oh, man oh man. I don't like flats all that much, but Chromes are excellent. They provide a deep sound that isn't muddy, while still retaining some of those higher frequencies. A solid string that isn't too flimsy or high-tension.

bmac314 likes this.
  10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I don't have an L-2000, but an M-2500, which had some DR flats for a short time. I thought they were excellent, with good punch and clarity without being very bright. Mine is an old set they called "Hi Beam" flats, but they call them "Legend" now. Same strings.

For truly old-school tone, it's tough to beat GHS Precision Flats IMO, but I've only tried them on an actual Fender Precision.

11. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    To get my tone on my L2500, I use chromes like dave64o or nickel wound strings, but I don't change the strings and keep them on for years. I change the strings about every 2-3 years, at best. When I first put them on, WAY to bright!!! But after about 45 days, I get the purr that I need and love!

12. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    FWIW, I've had the Chromes on my L-2500 for about a year and a half, maybe closer to two years at this point and I've given that bass more playing time than any of my others in that time. So they should be pretty broken in at this point. They sound great on that bass!

Actually, Chromes are the one flat I've used that has sounded great on every bass I've put them on.

13. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    While I had my L-2500, I'd only tried the strings that came on the bass. Ended up not bonding with the 5-string version but would love to try an L-2000 one day. I do regret not tryin Roto 66's and DR Pure Blues on it though, as I've had great experiences with both those strings on other basses. As they are, I feel like those basses would sing with those strings, but couldn't really say since I never tried them.

14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I have the best strings on mine, but they're not flatwounds, they're
    GHS black tapewounds.
    2ed5uut.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  15. AngelMoncada

AngelMoncada

Oct 4, 2016
    It's interesting to see how GHS strings seem to be the most common answer on this thread. In my case, I have had my L2k for about 1.5 years now and hated the D'addarios that normally come on G&L's so I took the plunge on GHS Pressurewounds and have only used that since. I've had the same set for over a year, though I'd say I'm past due for a string change by a couple months. Ultimately, what type of string you choose depends on your personal sonic goals. I love the feel and balance of pressure wounds, as they give me that flexibility between brightness and darkness that I wanted with my bass' flexible electronics. They have aged well too, considering that the L2K is already a bright bass as it is. It has put the bright factor under my control. Try them out!

dagrev and michael_t like this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021