1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

best strings for volume/projection

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Chris Paget, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Chris Paget

Chris Paget

Sep 1, 2008
    Hi all,

This question might best be framed by a more general question about how to get the most volume out of my setup - upright, 350 watt fender amp, Fishman full circle pickup, and Fishman preamp.

I am playing in a new band where I really have to compete with volume with the PA and especially drums, and still compete with all of the above cranked to the point of feeding back at all times while not playing.

So, my last step is to put steel strings on since I currently have gut-style (not real gut, but emulations - brand is Innovation) strings on which do not put out as much sound. General tips on volume are welcome, but I'm specifically wondering what would be my best bet for strings in terms of volume?

Thanks in advance!!

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    ime hi beams work really well giving me a kind of loud and focused finger style piano tone

3. Wrong forum, mpdd.

Chris, it sounds like you have more of an amp problem than a string problem.

What speakers is your amp powering? Where do you stand in relation to your amplifier? Is running through the PA rather than your own amplification an option?

Some folks install a second soundpost between the bass bar and the back to cut feedback while amplified at the expense of acoustic volume and tone.

Less invasive solutions include taping over the ff-holes or stuffing them with foam, or jamming a tennis ball between the tailpiece and top in order to dampen the bass.

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    IME you're lost.

5. What style of music are you playing? Are you sure you have exhausted technique as a means to better projection? What pick-up, amp, speakers do you use?

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    See.

7. Nuggulux

Nuggulux

Oct 24, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    This is going to make me sound like an old man, but with a 350-watt amp, you probably don't need a louder setup. The best solution is probably convincing your band to play more to your level, then let the venue's PA handle the rest. A major bonus to your band turning down is that they're listening better than they were and are working more as a "band" and less as a drummer who is playing at the same time the guitarist who is playing at the same time as the singer, and so on.

For years, I've been fighting the same battle with my band and now that they finally agreed to set their levels to my bass, we all sound several times better than we used to. It was the missing ingredient.

8. When you're right, you're right...

9. Wise words . I agree entirely

10. I agree with everything here and wanted to add that you could also try boosting some low-mids.

11. Use a FDeck HPFpre. It makes more use of your amp for frequencies that can be heard.

12. ERIC A

ERIC A Supporting Member

Gut Strings