Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best strings for Warwick thumb 5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Zharlon, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Zebra....to Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    I have a thumb 5 that I picked up here on TB from a great guy.....I threw on Warwick strings(I have also a fretless fortress 5, and I put a set of warwick red's on one and Black labels on the other though I can't remember which bass got which set)...I must say that I am not the happiest with the kinda loose tension I am experiencing on the thumb, as well as I am finding that I have to seriously roll off the highs....the strings seem awfully clicky/clacky to me...though they do have a reasonable tone if played lightly enough....to sum it up....I want a bit darker sounding(hate the string "noise") as well as lil' bit more tension(might help with the additional "noise")....btw...I have always played stainless steel strings on all basses I have owned, meaning I have no experience with other metals....also I might add that I play little "slap n pop"....sticking with fingerstyle though I play funk when the style choice is up to me.....Any warwick thumb owners out there that can tell me from experience what their respective string choices are?(and the "why" of course...hehe)

grassyass
    Olliver Closehoff

2. Try theThomastik Power bass series. They are awesome sounding and last a long time too!

CheckHERE

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There is no "best" string for a particular bass. It's all personal preference.

Experiment and see what you like. I like Pyramid roundwounds but they might be hard to get in the US, DR strings are liked by many.