1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best strings for...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tallicabassist0, Sep 25, 2008.

1. tallicabassist0

tallicabassist0

Feb 16, 2005
    well my bass ive noticed makes a click sound due to the strings tapping the pick up

Ive used DRs hi rider but the 2 lowest strings are a spare of some brand i dont know

any recommendations on a string brand/different gauge that may have a lower flexibility so it wont tap the pickups?
    ive raised the action but i really dont want it up much higher then itd just be ridiculous

also this clicking occurs when i play on the E string of the bass, usually never the higher ones

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    have you tried lowering the pickups?

3. You may want to look at your technique. If you're hitting the strings too hard or in a downward motion then you will always make that sound no matter what strings you use. If neither of those two are the problems then you may try to lower the pickups. Still, if that doesn't work then try a set of DR low Riders or Sadowsky strings, since they're both hex-core strings and are stiffer than the round core Hi Beams. Any hex-core string will be stiffer than round core strings IMO and IME.

4. Are you sure its "hitting" the pickups, and not the next fret up? Does it happen the instant you strike the string? Play it unplugged, and check for sure - somebody last week was asking about that same thing. If you have roundwounds, and your treble turned up with a horn - it is quite evident on the E string (less tension/heavier gauge = greater inertia).

5. tallicabassist0

tallicabassist0

Feb 16, 2005

yea ive tried it with and without the amp on, i play a bit around and notice the same clicking i heard in the recording.

also when im plugged in, when i tap the strings purposely on the pickup it has the same click sound, so thats why i assume thats what it is

i also notice when i pluck, the angle of my fingers go in a downward motion, sorta like slapping but still plucking tho not as perpendicular.
    it also doesnt happen when i play closer to the bridge, but with that the tone isnt as full

for an audio example here is my bands myspace page, and the song Leave it Alone starts with just drums and bass, and you'll see exactly what the clicking is

www.myspace.com/eraserhead0508

6. peakdesign

peakdesign

Aug 25, 2008
    I kinda consider that one of the MANY percussive effects a bass can produce :D. If you don't want to lower the pickups any further, have you tried black vinyl electrical tape over the pickups? It's soft and elastic enough to dampen the click, you could put on more than one layer even, has no effect of course on the magnetics, and is pretty invisible on black pickups. Then again, you could try yellow tape for a special look. You could even cut cute little animal shapes in a top black layer, and have a yellow layer show through.

7. tallicabassist0

tallicabassist0

Feb 16, 2005
    hm im actually considering giving that a go

im gonna grab a new set of strings, clean my bass and then put the tape on it

so it doesnt effect the tone either? like muffling it at all

8. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    another poster asked if you've tried lowering the pup?...I'm not sure if you answered that yet.

9. tallicabassist0

tallicabassist0

Feb 16, 2005
    not yet, im gonna do that when i get a new set of strings, which is whenever i get to guitar center really

10. peakdesign

peakdesign

Aug 25, 2008
    No, no effect at all, it's the magnetic coupling that creates the sound, no sound is passed from string to pickup, you could put a half inch stack of layers on and it wouldn't affect the sound except by requiring you to raise the strings :D. The vinyl electrical tape just dampens the impact when the string or your fingers hit it, and especially it prevents that loud click when the string actually contacts the magnet in the pickup, metal to metal. It works very well and has no side effects other than the tape coming off in time, or the edges lifting up and being sticky. Then you just rip it off, cut a new piece (or two), apply it and it's new as rain. You can experiment to see if one layer does the trick for how hard the string hits, or if you should add more layers. It's very simple and low tech. It obviously helps to clean the pickup with some alcohol on a q-Tip before applying the tape if it's dusty or dirty. Vinyl takes on the shape of the pickup if you press it down with a q-tip, including protruding poles if they don't stick out too much.