Best strings on a Fender MIA Jazz 5 to play country?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jacoby75, Mar 18, 2010.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Hi fellow keepers of the groove,

After a battery died in my Yamaha at a gig, (and given that I can't afford a really great active bass to make it worthwhile to take the risk of that happening again) I swore off active basses, and am going all passive. Plus, I think it's better for what I'm doing. I recently got a used Fender MIA Jazz 5. I'm curious what sorts of strings others of you out there are using on your jazz 5's. I had been using DR stainless low-riders on some previous active basses for years and liked them, but they don't sound quite right on the jazz. Plus, I've noticed that they sound pretty dead to me after a few gigs, and once dead they sound absolutely terrible.

I realize that "best" when it comes to all things bass is always subjective, but I'm curious if there are opinions out there. I don't really have the money to buy a bunch of different sets to try them out. If it helps to know, I'm playing country and blues. I don't like flatwounds. I like the hex core of the DR's because it lets me have really low action (which I like) without buzzing. As for tone, though, I'm thinking something nickel? That's about all I've got to go on at this point.

Any opinions on the Fender 8250 strings? I think I would need something with the tapered B since the Fender does allow for through-body stringing, but the regular DR B doesn't sit quite right on the saddle.

Thanks

Rick

2. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    T.I flats ...last forever and get better with time IMO

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    What happened to the Mike Lull that was in this post a couple minutes ago? Now it's a MIA Jazz 5 rather than a Lull P5?

Confusing.

Personal rant... I'm always astonished when I see comments on guys who shy away from actives because a battery died on them. Change it every six months, or every time you change the oil in your car, or some other way to remember and don't leave the cord plugged into the bass. Or have the bass modded to be active/passive. I've no problem with people preferring passive basses, but when the reasoning is either "I'm to forgetful to remember to change a battery once every 6-months, or "I'm to cheap to buy a battery every 6 months", I can't help but shake my head.

4. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    No, I just got both basses, and am asking for advice on strings for both the Jazz and the P5. I essentially just copied and pasted the message, inserting "jazz" or "P5", since I'm asking the same thing. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm not completely against active basses. After playing for 20+ years, I have never had that battery issue. I have another bass that I've had for 15+ years, and have changed the battery once. It was just the catalyst that started the whole thing. I had been looking to get a Fender 5-string P or a Lull P5 for a while anyway.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I vote that you learn a lesson and change your battery a few times a year and don't worry about buying a new bass or fancy strings.

6. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Weird, I've had an active bass for 10 years, and never had the battery run out. I bought a lithium battery when I got the bass, and changed it 5 years ago. I just changed it recently because it had been 5 years since the last time I changed it. The old battery still worked, but the bass buzzes less than it did before the battery change.

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Wow... I'd never imagine letting one go for more than a year. EVER. Even if it just say unplayed.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I change every six months whether it needs it or not. I can spring for four 9v batteries a year.

9. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Ever heard of lithium batteries? My friend lent me a distortion pedal that would EAT batteries. I'm talking about 2-3 hours tops. I took one of my used up 5 year batteries, and put it in his pedal, and it still works. Ever since then, I've been a convert.

To the OP, I'm sorry that this discussion has turned to batteries, but there is no answer to your question. Keep your batteries fresh. The best strings for country and blues are flats, IMO. You don't like flats. Just use what you like. If they go dead too fast, get some fast fret, and clean your strings after every gig or rehearsal if you need that new string sound.

10. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    As for battery life, I'm sure it depends on the bass. The bass in question that pissed me off was a Yamaha TRB-1005. It was only three months old (brand new from the factory with a brand new battery) and the battery died. When I got home that night I did a search and found that a number of people had that issue with that bass. The batteries in the bass tend to only last 2-3 months depending on playing. Again, not the ONLY reason I decided to go passive. I had been wanting a P anyway.

11. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    I have found that steel round core strings are very bright, and also very nice to play if the lo-riders went dead on you too fast.

12. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hey Rick! In regards to Fender 8250's, I've had great success with these on my Fender P. I always use Fat Beams but when I put them on my P the bass sounded thin and weak without balls or punch. Odd because I use them on my Jazz and it's the opposite of no balls, no punch, it freaking rocks. I put a set of 8250's on my P and it went back to being an oustanding P. Give them a shot, I've found them to be a very full sounding string with a forceful punch to the tone. Not an aggressive sounding string, but again, very full and they feel very nice to the touch. Also, they're a bit warmer than the DR's were. Hope you're digging the Lull, welcome to Talkbass!

13. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    (edited)

What are you doing in the strings section? :D.

Rick: I imagine you wouldnt want something too bright, and which wont stand out too much. You can really take your pick from a lot of the Nickels out there, Sunbeams, GHS, or some broken in slinkies or Rotos. Flats would be my choice for your music though, but understand if they wont fit for you.

14. I had D'Addario Chromes on a Jazz V, and I liked the sound a lot. Just my $.02

15. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I love the Fender 8250's on my Jazz basses, both four and five string. I like Ralphdaddys' description, and would add that they have excellent durability IME. I kept a set on my four string J for over a year and a half, during which I played that bass for several rehearsals and a few gigs. I changed them just because of how much I'd played them, and barely noticed a difference. The set on my Jazz V is two years old, and I've played it quite a bit during that time. I'm still turning down the treble; they still sound fresh.

16. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Carlsbad, NM
    I'd go with D'Addario Chromes.

17. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008
    I tried these on my MIA (4 String) Jazz, they just didn't seem to suit this bass at all for some reason? :meh:

18. Circle K balanced set with the .136 B string

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021