Best Strings To Buy

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rb26nate, Mar 25, 2005.

1. rb26nate

Mar 8, 2005
    I was wondering what some peoples opinions on the best strings for a good slap/jazz sound. I need them to be 5 string too. Price doesn't really matter. thanks
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Wrong forum- this sould be strings, but the mods will move it shortly.
    Welcome to TB by the way.

As far as String Recommendations, TI and DR are both Popular for Jazz. If you want a smoother tone for Nickel, but if you wanta sharper clearer tone Stainless is usually the string of choice. I use TI Jazz flats on my fretless and get a really great jazz tone when I load up the tone knob. My Spector has DR LoRiders Stainless, and I can get really great slap tones with good clarity and accentuation.
  3. rb26nate

Mar 8, 2005
    alright sorry. Yeah i'm new here but thanks for your opinion
  4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I don't have much experience with different brands, pretty much D'Addario, Rotosound, EB and apparently my Legend came strung with DR's (or GHS I really cabn't rmemeber) regardless I wasn't impressed. hated the D'addarios, found the rotosound nickles died too quick (I really liked the steels but they can be harsh on the fingers and the guage was a little heavier) EB Hybrid SLinkies have a great guage (just the right lightness) and IME the nickels have had a really great life span and produce good tone, you may find them bright though...
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Dean Markely Will Lee's sound great.
  6. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    D'addario XLs (nickel plated rounds) are a great all-round string.
  7. I've recently changed from Rotosound jazz to Elixir nanoweb things and I really like them they sound great and play very smoothly, rotosound used to be a bit coarse to start with.

Stu :bassist: