1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Strings to Play Surf Music?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dejm1, Nov 23, 2010.

1. dejm1

dejm1

Jun 3, 2006
    Is it safe to assume you'd want to use flatwound strings if you're looking for a traditional surf bass sound? To play Ventures style. Thanks!

2. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    I do believe that is a safe assumption...

3. Incorrect, strings wound from the steel of Excalibur are the best. Now for a new question, what's the best bass for surf music?

4. dejm1

dejm1

Jun 3, 2006
    good follow up question, but not sure what you mean by the steel of Excalibur... i get the reference though. so you think steel strings are good, too.

was going to use a Fender Jazz bass for now.... but would love to hear some other suggestions. will be using a pick for sure.

5. A hollowbody would suit you well I'd assume, but that's with my limited knowledge of surf music. You can't go wrong with a Precision of course.

6. dejm1

dejm1

Jun 3, 2006
  7. Surf is what I play... and the playing style matters more than the bass. I do recommend flats... esp Labella flats. Rounds only work for me if they're a couple of years old so they are not bright and zingy. But surf works great on hollowbody, semi-hollow, solid body, doesn't matter... as long as you sell it and use a pick when you really need a percussive sound, it will work.

I play surf on a Casady bass, a P, a Gretsch 2202 Jr. Jet, a Bronco, a J, a Rogue "Beatle bass", an Aria predecessor to the Hi-Flyer, a Schecter Diamond, and even on a '64 Gibson EB-0, although to tell the truth the mudbucker on the EB-0 is a bit woofy for some numbers, so I don't use it for everything. Most of those basses have flats on them.

8. Right on, Pilgrim!

Using flats or really dead rounds is the answer, and using a pick can really emphasize the small touch of reverb you can use in surf music.

I like a nice slap-back using a Fender heavy pick and stay away from the Bright or High-Beam type strings.

I try to palm-mute at the same time to get that 'pop' in the string which the slap-back picks up and just makes is 'Surf' to me.

Bert Kamferdt (sp?) was the instigator of that sound originally with his 'Swinging Safari' and 'Sandy's Theme' with his German/Euro Pop orchestra, and it just carried over to surf and trash-rock.

BTW: I just hit a new (to me) surf guitar site:: http://www.surfguitar.com/