Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best strings to throw on a Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Scott D, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey, what would be the best strings to throw on a Ric 4003? i searched, and saw that Rotosound 66's would be good, anything else?

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I use roto's on my Rick, tried several different kinds of strings but the Roto's are the best for a Rick, on different basses I would suggest something else but for the Rick Rotosounds are the ticket.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Does anybody use anything else beside Roto's on thier Rick's out there?? I'm curious as well.

4. I really like DR High Beams on my 4001. I've found them to be more consistent that Rotosounds, and they stay bright longer.

5. If you are into the Paul McCartney tone, maybe try a set of Pyramid flatwounds.

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I noticed my Roto's lost the edge a bit after playing awhile, I can see how that is true.

7. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    If you're talking about rounds, I'll vore for OEM Rickenbacker nickel rounds. Best price is $20 a set from Rhoads Music in Pennsylvania.

You couldn't pay me enough to use Rotosounds.

8. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I sometimes throw GHS Boomers on my 78 Rick.

But it has lately been ErnieBall slinkys or D'Addarrio XL's.

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I didn't know Rickenbacker made strings! Where can I get em?

10. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    What kind if GHS? Are they called Rickebacker rounds?

12. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    They are NOT made by GHS. If you call RIC customer service they will not tell you, but they have said it's not GHS. I suspect they are made by SIT but that's just a guess.

They are branded Rickenbacker. They are the OEM 45-55-75-105 set and the string-to-string balance is great despite the odd A and D sizing. Most of all they sound great to me, and they are long lasting for rounds. A store has to be an authorized RIC dealer to order them. List price is $30 and several online dealers carry them at list (Pick of the Ricks, North Coast Music, The Rickenbacker Page) but Rhoads sells them for $20. http://members.aol.com/RhoadsMusi/rickaccessories.html (for some reason I can't get the site up in IE right now but it comes up fine in Opera).

13. cpcsg

cpcsg

Aug 13, 2003
    Modesto, Ca
    I own an ESP B-105 and string it with Roto Swing Jazz. I love em and it sounds great with them. I haven't noticed any loss of brightness either.

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Roto Swing 66's are the classic. DR's are a good option, too, since they are direct descendents of Roto design.

15. cpcsg

cpcsg

Aug 13, 2003
    Modesto, Ca
    Sorry....I meant RS 77 Jazz Bass. Not Swing Jazz....double negative oh wait, positive.:D

16. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i can vouch for the Ric strings. they are really good! they feel very nice, the rounds are sweet. the grooves in the strings are not very deep, so for me it kinds feels like flats (but not totally flats, its just real nice for slides and such) but the RIC strings are really good, they are definately staying on my Rickenbacker.

17. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.

18. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    You are incorrect, sir. What actually happened is that Mark Arnquist, who worked there in the 70s when the strings were flats made by Maxima, alleged that in the 80s they used what was available, including GHS GUS and D'addario. He claimed this was from a conversation with the guy who had been plant manager in the 80s.

John Hall replied that this was not true.

In another thread John Hall mentioned that GHS, D'addario and SIT were all fine string manufacturers and that one of them was Rickenbacker's supplier. If you call them, they will tell you it's not GHS, and John Hall has said it's not D'addario, so my guess is SIT.

19. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.

20. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    On My Ric 4003 I have Labella Flatwounds, the E string is a 115. Makes the bass sound huge, it sounds like an upright.