Best Studio Headphones $150-175.00

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by SPLASTiK, Jun 27, 2002.

Jun 26, 2002
    Juneau, Alaska
    Hey- I'm going to be going to a recording school and they say I need to invest in a pair of good headphones in the price range of 150-175.00 US.
    Was wondering what you guys thought i should check out?

2. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Don't spend so much money.
    Talk to some pros, then buy some AKG K-240m's for $89.
  3. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I would suggest Sennheisers. Not sure if you can find any in that price range though.
  4. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Hell yeah.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have to third that. The K240M are the best set I've ever heard. These are 600 ohm monitor headphones, so you get really accurate sound.
  6. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000

Jun 26, 2002
    Juneau, Alaska
    dont we wish we had $14,000 to spend on a pair of headphones....

I guess what they gave me was canadain dollars and if you all recomended K-240m's those are in the US price range, guess i should check them out
  8. How well do those AKG k240Ms do with sound leaking out of the headphone & bleeding into the microphone? Great sound is one thing, but can they be used when recording with sensitive mics--that's what inquiring minds want to know.
  9. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    That's one reason why they are so good for the studio. They are not the open ear type, they go over the whole ear for less leakage yet they are very comfortable (and very accurate).
    A lot of the pros have sworn by these for many years now.
  10. submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Another vote for the AKG K240M
  11. Another vote for the AKG 240s in the studio. I prefer Grados at home, however.

I listen in two distinct modes, there's analytical mode when I'm in the studio, listening to the near feild monitors/studio headphones, and there's my home-listening mode where I allow myself to do some eqing to everything and I know my Magnepan MG-IIIa speakers are far from flat response, but I love the sound, I just wouldn't mix on them - same with the Grado headphones I really like.

I think for studio work, it's most important to have a flat response headphone/monitor, while at home, whatever sounds good to you. I like a laid back midrange, and I often remove a bit of midbass when i'm at home, in favour of deeper stuff, since my speakers can handle it.

12. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    I use Headphones a lot in a mastering environment - usually AKG 240s and 141s but for critical listening I bring in my own Sennheiser 280 Pros.
    They are fully closed with approx 30 db Ambient noise rejection and the frequency response in the low end is phenomenal.
    You should be able to pick up a pair for around US$150 - well worth it!
  13. I'm interested in hearing these Senn 280 Pros... what's the high-end like?

At home, I usually listen to a pair of Stax SR-Xmk3 electrostatic headphones which are not particularly well suited to mixing thanks to the very uniquely voiced bass... they give everything this less punchy but artifically rich and deep sound, same as my Magneplanar speakers, which is why I got them... plus they're WAY out of this price range... the midrange and treble, however, are ruler flat and extremely transparent when driven with a good amp. If you can concentrate on the midrange and treble, and use another headphone/speaker for mixing your low end, they would give you incredible insight into reverb levels, distortion, noise, etc...

I've never heard a headphone's low end that compared with a good dynamic cone speaker, though. I wonder if these Senn 280s are the ticket... I've been listening to my father's PSB Passif IIa speakers quite a bit lately, the 8" woofer and 10" passive radiator make for absoutely killer tight, punchy bass, with pretty good extension. The midrange is too punchy for my taste, while the 1" dome tweeter is a joke compared to the ribbons in my Maggies. Either way, I'm realising how much i miss cone-speaker bass. Guess I'll have to build a nice big transmission line sub to augment my Maggies' bass...

14. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i've had 2 pair of AKG 240's for almost 20 YEARS!!!

i STILL use them.

the inside foam is gone, of course...but dang it, i can't bring myself to replace them.

15. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    To reply to feckn_eejit..
    The Senn 280 pros have a frequency response of
    8 - 25k (Yes I said 8hz!)
    The High end is very transparent - I also have an old set of Stax (don't you hate having to find an extra speaker out to power them?).
    The Sennheisers compare favourably with them.
    If you can find a set please try them out with music you know and you will be surprised at the depth.