Best "subtle" synth effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DanGouge, Jun 5, 2003.

1. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    OK I'm not quite sure how to describe this but here goes:
    I want some sort of synth device that doesn't sound totally crazy and out of control. Just something that fattens things up and makes them sound a bit "synthy" but still fairly clean. What pedal, and what settings do I want to go for to achieve something like that? I will try to post some tunes that are examples of this sort of thing...
  2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Octavers are synthy and sane. Many synth pedals have blend knobs that let you keep it subtle.
  3. the moogerfooger lowpass filter can be very subtle if you want it to be... hell that thing can pretty much be whatever you want it to be if you pla around with it for long enough.
  4. Yeah, you want an octaver (the Digitch bass synth wah is the best IMO) a simple EV follower or even a fuzz with which you can dial up very subtle, square wave tones.
  5. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Boss SYB-3 Bass synth pedal...the thing is sick!!:D
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I considered a number of pedals including the Akai Deep Impact, the Boss synth pedal, the EH, and others. I ended up buying the Ibanez SB-7 and a Boss Octave. I will admit that I was a cheap skate and wanted to avoid buying the more expensive pedals. These two do a nice job with getting the synth bass thing. I have a fun time using them for a few tunes now and then.

I can email some sound clips if you're interested.
  7. ah man, that's all you really need as a bass player coping those tones; a fuzz, octave and EV filter.
  8. I used to own, and really liked, the Electro-Harmonix Bass Micro Synth, mostly because it allows you to control so many variables independently (there are like eight or nine faders). I used it for subtle tone variations, swooshing synth sounds, even percussive sounds. It really was $200 well spent.
  9. Dondi

May 3, 2003
    I'm always looking at stuff, but you can call me an analog anus. The Electro Harmonix micro synth. is the most satisfying sounding box. It gets huge sounds or subtle, you just adjust the sliders! You do need pretty clean technique to not screw up the tracking, though.
  10. hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    hey guys, i'm about to buy the ibanez sb7, but can you tell me if it is good for slapping (like the ebs bass iq samples, on the ebs site), any samples ? thanks:bassist: