Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

!~!~!~!~!~!BEST SYNTH!~!~!~!~!~!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, May 23, 2002.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Whats the best synth pedal for bass, 200 dollars or under?

2. Good luck finding one new that is good quality for 200 or less, I liked the Ibanez Bass Synth, not that expensive and really simple to use. The Boss Bass Synth is interesting, but gets old really quick. I suggest peicing together your own synth with a fuzz, octave and envelope filter, this is Mad Subwoofers prefered method to getting bass synth and It works really well too.

3. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    The Akai deep impact goes for about $175. IMO, it's a nicer sounding synth than the Boss. More options too. It has several oscilators, and user presets. After owning the Boss for a few years, it sounds like a cheap toy to me. The tracking sucks big time too. You may be able to pick up an EH micro synth used for around $200. It's a real versitile box. Or, you can buy seperate pedals, as Bigfoot suggests. That's really the way to go if you can afford quality effects. I use a Moogerfooger filter, Boss octave, Boss synth, EH ring mod, and a Line 6 DL4 to get synth tones. That way I can use each effect individually, or mix them together in whatever combination is appropriate at the time.
    But, of all the stand-alones, the micro synth is the best if you asked me. Very tweakable.

4. Yeah to bad those jerks at EHX (j/k) don't reissue the attack/decay so I could control the output and shape of mine... I want one so badly! Ahh!

5. This box works great and has some darn nifty tones IMO.

Get TWO EV filters..one B4 and one after your fuzz for very different sounds. Should only cost you about $600 for everthing....!!

6. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I thought the MS had an attack/decay control built in? Guess I was wrong. The Line 6 delay has an auto volume swell feature that works well for that. No decay controll though. You can tweak your bass's volume, and trip the filter in real time. That makes for some interesting sounds.

7. It does. BF is foreign, you have to forgive him. :p The BassIQ has that attack knob that I really dig. i set the delay for very slow and get a similar "swell" effect. This is especially handy for setting after a fuzz, where a normal EV filter would trigger wildly. You get a very dramatic effect this way....

8. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Agreed, although it means investing significantly more than $200 if you want good quality individual pedals...

9. I guess you could really pull it off for around $250 if you were thrifty....The plus with this setup is of course that you would in effect have "presets" depending on which box you stomp on and more importantly; ANALOG TONES.

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I think for under 200 bucks the Akai Deep Impact is the best synth pedal I've heard! I still have my Boss one, but the Akai has way better tracking.

11. benevan

benevan

May 2, 2002
    Memphis
    I agree. You definitely cannot go wrong with the Akai. Much better than the Boss and IMO better than the EH. Certainly the most user friendly of all the bass synths and extremely versitile.

12. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Hey Bigfeet, what are the best fuzz, octave and envelope filter pedals used to get a nice bass synth sound?

13. How nice of you to single me out :p

Synthesized sounds cover a pretty broad range, MadSubwoofer's method (give credit where credit is due) is the best and most simplistic way I can think of to get the basics... The thing that really contributes to your sound most in my opinion is the type of filter you are using. There are so many types out there determined buy the type of amp, resonance, the number of stages, lag, mode, sensitivity, etc... A resonate filter will give you more mellow, less squelchy, modern sounds... Where an envelope controlled filter with a follower will give more moog like tones. The Crowther Audio, Prunes and Custard is the best synth distortion ever, the thing is genius! Intermodular distortion you can plug an instrument in to... THAT’S GREAT! Actually uses synthesizer technology to make an interactive distortion, it’s definitely on my to buy list. Great idea for an open-minded guitarist too, I hear great things about pulse-width modulation coming from this box. Not cheap though, it cost around the same as the Akai Deep Impact. You may have to compromise costs if you want that setup immediately. Boss Pedals are pretty good entry-level effects, though they get a bad rep for their quality and construction, not to mention they are pretty common… Stay away from DOD though, you’ll get nothing but one cheap thrill from them. MXR effects are classic and great quality for the price, but not too tweakable and most models far from true bypass. The Boss and MXR octaves are the best inexpensive octaves that come to mind. The Boss OC2 is much more organic and throaty (which is arguably what the octave on the Mo’ Bass was modeled after) than the MXR Bass Octave’s fat droning sound. Both seem to go nice and deep and handle bass frequencies well. Next comes a fuzz, which seems like the most simple part of this because of the abundance of them out there but it’s hard to tell if your lows will be completely sucked out because of the high amount of clipping and gating happening to get the “fuzz effect.” Your best bet is one the will let you mix clean and effected signals together so you can keep your lows. Fuzzes and other effects in general can be moded pretty cheaply so you can do this. Ones that I can suggest that wont cost you too much and you can get easily are the EHX Big Muff Pi. The sustain feature is more of a gate control than an actual function so the more you turn is up the harsher the effect you’ll get but more lows are lost. The Proco Ratt is pretty nice, slightly tight and crunchy sounding, which can be driven into complete saturation… I’m sure other people can give you more suggestions but these are the best two (inexpensive) fuzzes I can think of.

Filters are pretty hard to suggest. I would go analog or tube though, just seem to have more body and warmth than digital ones, like amplifiers. You just need things happening inside the box to get a truer realistic sound that you can be happy with. There are allot of different options for you to choose from, which is a good thing. You can never have enough filters IMO each seems unique and characteristic. I suggest this is one part of the synth-setup you spare the expense for, if you get a good tweakable filter you can cover a very broad range of styles and sounds. There are three things you should look for in a filter that make it a plus for getting “synth sounds.”
    1.) A selectable filter giving you options for low pass, band pass and high pass, if not you can get good results with a low pass filter.
    2.) At least controllable filter depth (“Q”) or resonance.
    3.) And of course a sign of an amp in use (sensitivity, attack, decay (most common controls) etc…)

Some of my favorites are:
    The ever-classic MutronIII, even its reissue is pretty sweet, I’m big fan of Mike Biegle so I wouldn’t waste the money on a knock off of one of his designs.
    The Qtron and Qtron+ are great filters, another one of Mike’s strange designs, very similar to the classic MutronIII.
    Frostwav Funk-a-ducK is a good resonate filter, smoothes things out like a really controllable parked wah… Not that fundamental for the bass, but you can get some nice results with this pedal.
    Chunk 00Funk, just from its reputation and sound bites on its web site. It may be a low pass filter only but it has some nice control and a throaty sound.
    Lovetone Meatball, if you can find one now. :p
    There are so many…

14. Man...don't even get that guy started on filters! Their going to need a new server just to hold all of BF's filter posts! :D
    seriously....Paul Crowthers P+C is brilliant, I love mine. Check out the Harmony Central reviews.

15. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I think the meatball is back in production. That's the one. Expensive though. They are going for about $500. Got to plug the moogerfooger. It's a great filter. You can get anything from muddy old nasty sounds, to crystal-clear underwater bubble bass. Designed by Bob Moog himself to boot. A little cheaper @ about $250.

16. ...yes, it's a nice low pass filter but the bypass is a bit unfortunate.

17. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Gee, you guys are swell. Thanks for the help.

18. No "down" mode either so its permanently off my list.

19. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Yea, True bypass would have been nice. You can switch the filter to "fast" mode, and get an almost down sweep. It's really synthy, and nasty (in a good way) sounding. kind of bshhhrrrewwwww. Almost sounds like a bassballs, but cooler.By the way, have the filter-heads (BF and MS) demod the controll prossesor yet? Seems like it would open up a lot of possibilities. I'm biding my time until I can afford a meatball, THE envelope follower.