1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best tapewound strings to sound like Grand Funk: Rotosound Tru Bass vs. GHS 3060

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Humberto Gillan, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Hi, as i want to sound the closest way posible to Mel Schacher, i've purchased an Squier Vintage Modified Precision Telebass with a big mudbucker in the neck, but it has roundwounds, and i'm interested in a smoother, thumpier, vintage type of tone, and i have seen that Mel Schacher used tapewounds in his "Gibsonized" Fender Jazz, so i have been looking for some options, but the only ones that gives me some real thump are Rotosound Tru Bass 88 and GHS 3060s, what's the better for it? Or what would you suggest to get this kind of tones:

Thanks!

trothwell likes this.
  2. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Listening to the vids I think more than anything the tone he gets is due to the mudbucker and the position he has it in (middle position rather than extreme neck position) it sounds very much like a Jack Bruce on steroids bass tone, I would go for the GHS out of the 2 you mentioned, the Rotos have the thump but in the recording I'm hearing a lot of growl which the Rotos will not have