Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best - The Most Solid - Out of the Box 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Jan 29, 2003.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    What 5-string bass would be good to get, for say under $600, just straightforward, with a good tone, good B string, and solid workman ship? I've never owned a 5 string yet, but am interested in getting one that will be a good workhorse. Ibanez Soundgears any good? Or just anything you guys recommend..

~AJ / Desperate

2. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    well, your not going to get the best, solid 5 string for 600 bucks.SoundGears are ok, alot of people don't like them though. Check out the MTD kingston 5 string. not sure on the price though. it's a real good, cheap 5 string. if all your looking for is cheap, check out Essex or Brice model bass guitars. they are made by rondo, and a pretty nice basses for the money.

Also, if you are so lucky, you run across a used Ibanez ATK 5 STRING, GET IT. it's probly way under your price range, and a GREAT bass. If you want to go the ibanez route, i hear good things about the BTB 5 string models. Also, people don't like soundgear 5 strings because they have narrow string spacing, and they want more room. but if you like it, you like it, and if you don't, you don't.

4. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    What about Copley's?

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I'll ignore you said that.;)

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Kingston 5 or BTB 5. I'll second that one.

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Kingston hands down IMHO

DM

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    lackey- thanks for the mention- yes my site is up again- my domain name was hijacked by some cypersquatters , so it is now slightly different-
    www.accessbass.com
    took the dash out- that belongs to some other fine people now.. live and learn
    another vote for the Kingston

10. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I played a Kingston today at a local guitar shop (MAE in Davie, FL) .. Wasn't really my cup of tea, kind of weak to me. Didn't help that it had ROUNDWOUNDS? on it for some reason, but anyway, again.. What About COPLEY's?

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    you saw Jeff Kissinger, then!! tell him i said hi- that bass dept gig used to be mine!!
    anyways- surprised to hear you were that unimpressed.. i find it to be one of the punchiest passives out there.

12. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Another vote for the Kingston 5 here. Awesome 5 string for less than $500. Should be about $450 new I think. That leaves you some dough for a nice strap and a few sets of strings.

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    well- im thinking if you didnt like the Kingston- the Lakland 55-01 might be more your flavor- it has a nice beefy preamp and its not far from your $600 max--

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The vast majority of new basses have roundwounds on them.

15. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Flatwounds.. My Fault, the Kingston had Flatwounds.. I really couldn't dial in a sound that really pleased me, and I guess the FLATwounds didn't help.

16. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    And still nothing on Copley? I see some on Ebay for a nice price.

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    man- sounds like youre set on Copleys- i have no idea what they are- but i can tell you this- flatwounds is no way to judge a Kingston-
    by the way, just got email from the distributors- they raised the prices... hmmm...

18. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Raised Prices on Kingstons? That might not be good. I looked at the Black 5 String with White Face Plate, I like the look of that one alot. Maybe I can go back to MAE and see if they can hook up that Kingston with some Roundwounds so I can really try it out. Get back to me with that Price Change as well please.

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i just shot off an email to Mike T about it- want to be clear- ill be happy to correspond by email if you wold like details-
    info@accessbass.com
    peace!- Adrian