1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best theory book ?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by 1dreday, Oct 20, 2013.

1. 1dreday

1dreday Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2009
    i'm a newbie and i just picked up the jazz theory book, and i'm just wondering what everyone thinks is the best overall theory book, out

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
  3. 1dreday

1dreday Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2009
    i"ll check them out any bass theory books?

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    The top one is a book.

5. brydo

brydo

Sep 9, 2010
    If you're referring to Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" then, yes, it's a very good book. The examples in it are geared towards piano players, but the content is universal to all jazz musicians. That said, if you're ever in the mood to learn jazz piano, his "Jazz Piano Book" is excellent.

Another very good theory reference is the two-volume "Jazz Theory Resources" by Bert Ligon. It's a bit more advanced and sometimes a very dry read, but the more I started working through it the more I felt that it was the best and most complete jazz theory book that I've read (and I have a lot of them on my shelf).

6. Books written specifically for bass are more often going to be method books that deal with technical issues that are specific to the bass. Good music theory books are universal - the same principles apply whether you're playing the flute, the bass, or the theremin.

7. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    I really like edlys music theory for practical people.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    If you decide to check out The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine, please be sure to go to amazon and say something sarcastic about my 1 star review after doing so. Some "jazz cats" are perpetuating their stereotype there. Kinda getting a kick out of it.

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I just read your review and I had a good laugh. I look forward to your review of Sloniminsky's Thesaurus of Melodic Patterns. Some of the comments are pretty funny too.

I think OP already has Mark Levine's book, unless he is referring to a different Jazz Theory Book. Mark Levine's book is a fantastic resource, it is honestly the best recommendation I can give you.

10. If you're a beginner, I recommend Pocket Musc Theory by Carl Schroeder and Keith Wyatt. It's short, clear, and only $7, and it will give you the basics.

I think Mark Levine's Jazz Theory Book is very good, but it's much more advanced, long, and expensive.