Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best three finger method?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Oct 10, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I am trying to incorporate my ring finger into my right hand playing, and was wondering that best way to go about it. In other words, should i play:

RMI-RMI-RMI...(I've heard this is good)

or

RMIM-RMIM-RMIM...(what my teacher suggests, and ive also heard is good)

Which way is better, or is it personal preference?

Also, while im at it, once i start on getting my pinky in there, whats the best way to use it?

Thanks

2. i use the r-m-i-r-m-i-r-m-i

Just make sure you practice keeping it even, other wise it will sound like a bunch of triplets.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's the one thing about playing it that way that makes it iffy- getting rid of that naturally galloping triplet sound, which comes from the ring finger plucking after the index. A gap in time is usually caused because the ring is higher in the air than the middle after the index finger plucks the string, so you really have to work on it to get the ring finger to come down in time.

Playing R-M-I-M-R-M solves this issue, but it makes your middle finger work harder as it gets more plucking work than the other two. You also won't form patterns of threes in your mind as easily with this method, which can be benefical as most bassists play notes in even groups, but the R-M-I-R-M-I method is usually better when playing triplet patterns.

Whatever you can make work for you.

4. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    R-M-I all the way for me, billy sheehan showed me that way in his instructional video....

5. Billy Sheehan also says for songs like "incantation" he uses

R-M-I-R or -P-R-M-I

6. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Steve Bailey uses both methods, if I am correct. I think he uses the alternating (r-i-m-i-r) more often then not. He can get some blistering lines out that way...

-Josh

7. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Ha...just realized that my nick-name (Mr. Thumbs) doesn't really make me qualified to comment in this thread...haha... :rolleyes:

-Josh

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    His fingering pattern is R-M-I-M-R or I-M-R-M-I....that's probably what you meant, but I just wanted to clarity.

And he does play this way most of the time, and switches to R-M-I-R-M-I when playing triplet patterns.

9. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    There's someone who uses 3 when he's moving up to the next string, but otherwise alternates 1 and 2. I've forgotten who. I've had pretty good success with that.

10. Each to his own, really.

Example: I use a variety of techniques for the faster metal I like to play. I do triplets both ways- rmi and imr- and faster stuff like 16ths and 32ds rmim and more recently, the Matt Garrison way- tmir.

Try them all!

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's Gary Willis. He has a very complex plucking system that allows him to move up and down strings quickly while still muting like crazy.

12. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I've been playing with three fingers for about 30 years - there are no hard and fast rules. Primarily I'm R-M-I, but the idea is that you want SOMETHING available when moving up and down strings. I don't think about it much, just do what seems to make the most sense. The idea is to get to where you're not thinking about it, just playing. ;)

13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup. I must admit that when I have to play fast a four-note burst, I use R-M-I-REVERSE INDEX.

Yup. I 'FLICK it'!

Joe

14. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    hehe...yeah, that's exactly what I meant. Sorry...blonde moment. :rolleyes:

-Josh

15. ive been workin on incorperating my ring also, ive been using
    m i m r m i.. its realy the only thing ive found that feels natural. ive only been playin for bout 9 months , my ole lady bought me an ibanez acoustic bass for christmas, best present ever.

16. I can't play with three fingers, but i'm gonna learn methinks.

And i do enjoy going Middle Index Index Flick

17. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    Whilst Billy Sheehan uses RMIRMIRMI on the video of his that I have he practices doing pretty much any combination you can think of and amazingly is incredibly quick at all of them.